Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thoughts on my proposed car hauler design

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by CyberSniper, Dec 17, 2004.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, I'm considering building a trailer. I only need 7000lbs worth of axles. Depending on price difference between 3500lb axles and 5200lb axles I might splurge and spend the extra bones.

Does anyone have a website where I can find out what the going rate for steel is right now?

Does the MSPaint picture below seem reasonable?
    [​IMG]

2. heavytlc

heavytlc Registered Member

I do not see any picture. I would recomend something other than 3500lbs axles, not because the axle will not do well, but there are no good tire choices for 15" rims, and unless you get some Rubicon wheels, you will have a hard time finding anything but 15" irms in the small 5lug whell pattern.

3. CyberSniper

My website was down for a couple days so the picture wasn't visible.

You can buy 3500lb axles with 5 on 4.5, 5 on 4.75, 5 on 5, 5 on 5.5, and 6 on 5.5 hubs. I have 15" wheels to cover the 3 Chevy patterns. I can run some light truck radial tires on the 225-235 range or 6 ply bias to get my weight rating.

I'm mostly looking for cheap and do what I want for the short term. Axles are pretty easy to swap if I decide I want to use the trailer for something heavier.

Most of the "cheaper" yet sufficient trailers I've been finding are around $1600.

4. CyberSniper

Well, I found a brand new trailer.

18+2
    82" deck width
    102" total width
    2-3500lb axles
    5" channel for a frame
    2x wood deck
    stake pockets
    brakes on one axle
    8,000lb 2" coupler
    jack
    ramps
    used tires
    decent wheels
    lights mounted in a ****ty place

Wants $1600 for it. Probably going to go pick it up tomorrow. Little bit bigger than I'd like but it's damn near impossible to find a 80" wide deck in a short trailer for a reasonable price.