Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thoughts on PLASTIC bucket seats?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Aug 2, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking that I'll want new seats when I chop my top. I love the feel of the stock '89 seats I have but I hate when they get wet/muddy and I have to sit in it for days afterwards. How crappy will these seats be for a weekend/trail rig? I'm looking for something that can be hosed off and dried with a towel after a sloppy mud run so my girlfriend can stop crying about her new pants being ruined by my dirty seats! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    el-cheapo RCI buckets
    seat cover

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

have one of them for the K5. WIll probably slap it in as a passenger seat and see what people think /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. They are plenty comfortable to sit in but I could see them hurting the tail bone on a jump.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'm a big guy and my butt fits in them. I've spent some time sitting in them (as they are my garage seating from time to time). They aren't in the truck yet but I'm planning on adding in some more cusion to seat area of the covers.
    I'd say try them out for a year or so, if you dont like them then start looking for the high dollar seats...

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

A guy in my local club runs them. He doesn't have the cushions for them and he is a pretty big guy. I was talking to him about them yesterday and he said that after an all day trail ride, his back, butt, and neck hurt for the next two days. So, comfortable they are not, but he said that they held him in place pretty well.

Kris

5. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I've been using them for the past 3 years. They arn't bad if you get the seat covers and add some dense 1" thick foam between the seat and the cover. My little sister and I just did a 5 day trail ride here in MT and I never herd her complain about the seats.

Oh and when you get them drill a couple of holes in the bottom to let the water drain out and dry faster. If you have seat covers on it the water likes to pool up under the covers.

6. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    I've been using them for the past 3 years. They arn't bad if you get the seat covers and add some dense 1" thick foam between the seat and the cover. My little sister and I just did a 5 day trail ride here in MT and I never herd her complain about the seats.

Oh and when you get them drill a couple of holes in the bottom to let the water drain out and dry faster. If you have seat covers on it the water likes to pool up under the covers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tip about the drainage. I've seen this happen on a friends Jeep a few times. I think I'll get a set of these seats and try them like you guys suggested. If I don't like them I'll just put the stock steats back in. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. TruckNutzDude

Oh yeah, are there any alternatives? I saw a few of the Driver FX seats and the APC seats at Pep Boys and thought the vinyl ones might be decent in a trail rig. They did seem quite firm though and the vinyl was perforated so it might not hold up to water. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

8. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

Corbeau makes an all vninyl suspension seat that is very comfy and resist water/mud/weather pretty well.

9. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

look at these /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

if you click on the other auctions, you will see they sell all kinds of seats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. jrsheets

jrsheets Registered Member

I run these seats with the covers. They were cheap and thats what I needed. They do make your butt sweat though. I think I am going to add a little more foam to the bottoms, as my suspension is kinda rough (country). I have a 38 waste and i am snug in these seats. I was able to fabricate my mounts to bolt into the stock seat mounts. You have to bring down the front side and reweld it otherwise you will be reclining like crazy. The work out great and i don't have to grab the OH [darn]!! door when i turn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

How much and where??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. TruckNutzDude

Are those the RCI buckets I was looking at? They look nice in your K5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I've been looking at those ones on Ebay, and some other at Summit Racing. There are a few differnt ones out there and the cheapest are the ones on ebay and they are the same design as the others. Summit has there own brand, look like the ebay ones...$35 or something for them.

I really want to upgrade to them when I do the roll cage and 5 pt harness's. Not looking at maximum comfort as much as safety. Would be nice to be held into the seat for once... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif And adding some dense foam under the a$$ section of the seat cover should help a lot.

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got the Summit seats in the back, PRP in the front. For the back I wanted cheap and light but strong, and those fit the bill. Main thing to remember is don't slouch in them. Stick your but back in the "cup" and it will be much more comfortable. The "pads" take some of the harshness off your spine and butt bones, but offer very little real benefit. We sometimes remove them in the summer for better air flow if the kids want...

15. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I had a set of the summit ones with no covers, I ended up bolting them to a stool, and used them as seats in the garage, really cool.

They were those garage or shope style stools, ended up selling them friends dad for his race shop...

oh anyways I liked them, if you are srtped in good landings "shouldn't" hurt /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif