Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

thoughts on sub's rear spoiler

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by tx_sub, Oct 6, 2004.

1. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

thoughts on sub\'s rear spoiler

has anyone taken theirs off? like or dislike? did it improve mileage? what about making one that still does the job but is a bit more aerodynamic?
    or is aerodynamics a lost cause on our /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif bricks /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif?

discuss amongst yourselves

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Re: thoughts on sub\'s rear spoiler

Personnaly I like it better without:
    [​IMG]

But I don't want to deal with the holes in the roof now that the tub I'm running has one.
    I cut it out to use the third brake light.
    [​IMG]

As for aerodynamics, I think it's a lost cause.
    But it does help keep the rear window cleaner on the freeway during rain/snow

3. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

I have 1 with and 1 without. The only difference I notice is that the one with it is that the rear of the sub gets dirtier on normal driving days than the other. Other then that I don't think aerodynamics play into 6,800 lbs.

4. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

I definitly looks better without it too.
    [​IMG]

5. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

mine has already been ripped off once by a garage door. (urban wheeling accident) so the problem getting rid of it would necesitate filling in the holes.

some one on the site mounted some lights on their spoiler. either back up or flood lights. heck, i could try to put lights in those holes. would wiring them would be a challenge? i have yet to redo my headliner to have a looksee.

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I just took mine off and left the brackets there. I didnt know that was stock, I figured it was some goofy aftermarket thing the PO did /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif. My 89 did not have the spoiler, but my 91 did, both are decked out Silverados /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

You should be able to pull the rear trim down and wire up some lights pretty easily. If you have rear a/c then you should already have wires routed back there.

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Those spoilers were not an option on a Burb as old as mine. But, when the snow is falling, I wish I had one. The rear windows in the barn doors are usually completely covered. But other than that, I don't see a need for one. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When mine was on, it made a big difference in how the rain washed off the back windows. Without it, the rain beads up, and visibility is very limited, especially at night. Other than that, it was for looks, and it didn't look that great.

10. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I can't find a decnt shot of it, but on the other side of each of the amber lights (flashers) I have flood lights mounted on mine.

All the lights are mounted on a bar that is attached to the roof rack and can be rotated down flat behind the spoiler.

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i dont have one and if i did it would have been ripped offf long ago, by a tree or something.

although i like the idea of it helping to wash down the back window, i hardly every use mine, i depent almost compleatly on my side mirrors, and if you want to tail gate me in your rice see if i car just don't scrach my diff! /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif