Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thoughts on this setup

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by evilandangry, Feb 4, 2003.

1. evilandangry

evilandangry 1/2 ton status

On March 1st I am ordering all the parts for the next step in the ongoing inprovement of my blazer.

My goal for this round is to FULLY clear true 35" tires. I have trimmed the fenders a bit and would like to avoid any more sawsall surgery so more lift seems to be the answer.

After reading many threads and asking many dumb questions I have decided to run the following equiptment.

Front: 4 in BDS spring, ORD heavy duty greasable shackle, ORD anti-swaybar disconnect, single BDS shock, SS extended brakelines

Rear: "stock" spring (bought new with my old lift), Echobit shackle flip, Greaseable bushings, single BDS shock

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions (rude or otherwise /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) on this setup?

I run rocks, fire-trails and a little mud and am trying to keep it close to legal.

As always I value your input. Thanks

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

The only thing I see wrong is the BDS shocks. I've heard there crappy,and seen pics. I'm going with Rancho 9000's with my BDS springs. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

3. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Looks like a pretty good plan /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I'm not sure if you've considered it yet but you'll probably wanna step up to some 3/4 ton axles to avoid breakage on them rocks.

4. evilandangry

Check my bio and you will find a 44 front and 14 with a detroit backing me up!!!!! Don't that give the ABS computer fits /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

5. evilandangry

The BDS shocks that are on the rig are still good after 18 months of service and 2 Maine winters. Have other people had trouble with them?

I ran a rancho steering damper on my Suburban and it died in 3 months, could that have been because it was mounted sideways??

6. MilpitasK5

Right on then! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif For some reason, I thought that wasn't in your bio when I looked earlier. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    Your set up is close to what I'm going to be doing in the future.
    I don't think I'll be running a shackle flip b/c I tow (however I am starting to hear that towing is okay with the shackle flip). And no locker for me b/c I drive to the snow in the winter time quite a bit.

7. evilandangry

I was worried about the locker because of the crappy winters we have here in Maine but a soon discovered that once you get use to it LOCKERS RULE IN SNOW!! The leaning curve is a little steep but once you have it down open diffs will seem a little weak.

8. MilpitasK5

That's what I hear too but I'd hate to learn the hard way! I don't live in the snow, I just go there prolly 25 times a year. The route that I take to the resort that I ride at is pretty hairy too. Lot's cliffs and sharp turns.

It rained a little here over the week end and Zakk and I were on our way to a trail run. Zakk just got a detroit and he was slipping on some 40s /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.
    If I lived in the snow, I'd probably be willing b/c I'd be able to drive around town and what not for some practice but I don't wanna practice on the side of a knarly cliff!!
    Post up how that works out for ya'!

9. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The only thing I see wrong is the BDS shocks. I've heard there crappy,and seen pics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. BDS shocks suck. They make great springs, but I would go the route Eric is, match them up with some RS9000's and you will be much happier. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, save the money on the swaybar disconnect and just throw your swaybar away. You won't miss it.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, toss them BDS shocks and get some Doetsch Tech DT8000s. They make some that are pretty long travel and they are nice and soft.

otherwise... good plan! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

12. evilandangry

Thanks for the input! I will look into pricing some rancho 9000's. One last thing should I look into some zero rates for the front? The echobit shackle flip claims 5.5+ inch lift and with the 4" in the front will the longer shackle be enough?

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

rs9000s are way nice if you have the $. For me, the DTs are nice and reasonable at $35 a shock.

j