Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thoughts on tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Butch, Aug 5, 2000.

1. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Am getting ready to buy new tires. I have BF Goodrich 35X12.5X15 Mud T/A's now. I am staying with that size but am open to other name brands if anyone has had good luck them. I hear that Big O tires are really good. Comments??

2. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Been hearing really good things about the new ProComp MT's. They are also pretty cheap. Might want to look at those. I looked at some of their XT's, the new ones that are an AT that is almost a Mud terrain, but eventually it just came down to the fact that they cost an arm and a leg. So I'm going with some Goodyears or ProComps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

The Mickey Thompson Baja Claw tires look pretty good. And they even Make a radial version in the 35" size!

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Pro Comp Mud Terrains sound real nice. Some four wheel drive magazines have had tests on them as of late and they sound like they outperform swampers and BFG's. The siping gives excellent grip on the rocks and the aggressive sidewall is great in the mud. The wide lug design clears real well with the blip of the throttle. I'm thinking of getting a pair once I get a little extra dough.

L8r,

.Riz.

5. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

My Grabbers are great, no problems. They sound really cool, too--nice and low and mean. I also hear great things about the Procomp MTs. You can get deals on them also.

6. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

the only thing that I have hears about the procomps vs. the BFGs is that the procomps have a 2 ply sidewall and the BFGs have a 3 ply. I would also have to recomend the baja claws, i run them on one of my other trucks and they are great. Very worth the money.

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383
    Aint nothin' like the sound of Chevy Thunder

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I like Big O tires. I used to run TAs but switched to Big Os about 10 years ago. They hook up great offroad and wear very well. I run them on my 4X4, and cars and have had no problems or complaints.

[​IMG]
    Stupid Jeeps!

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Hey Adrock, how do those Claws wear? I might be getting tires this week and the claws are at the top of my list. I just don't want to spend all that $$$ to have them wear out fast. Where did you get yours and what size do you have?</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue>Updated!</font color=blue>

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm running the General Grabber MT's, I've had them 2 years now, probably 35,000 miles, I've run slimy mud (dug hard, and self-cleaned very nicely) crawled on the rocks (never lost gription once at 16psi) towed a 21' trailer to San Diego and back from Vancouver BC, and they still have a ton of tread left, I've never had a flat and best of all they are reasonably priced. I paid $650.00 ($1000 Cdn.) installed and balanced. I would probably get them again when these ones wear out, but I want to go to 37's probably.
    Just my experience with what I've got, hope it helps.

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

10. My friend has a set of the pro comp mud's,they wear good.
    But the second time we were out wheeling,he hit a small stump coming out of a water crossing and punctured a big hole in the side wall.I'll never buy a set for this reason.
    The only bad thing about reading reviews in mags is that these people advertise a great deal in there mags.So it's hard to beleave every thing you read in them on product reviews.If you want a streetable mud tire I'd go with the BFG's I've ran them before they are pretty durable for a radial and the muds are sipped also!!
    This is just my opinion though.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

BFG is going to come out with a new version of the MT soon that should be superior to the old one in pretty much every way. The lugs on the sides are bigger and the lugs in the center of the tires are siped. They are probably afraid of the competition that the ProComp MTs are presenting and are following suit. I know that MT tires are generally scary on ice or even rain, so I'm hoping that some of these new siped MTs will help solve this problem.

85 pretending to be a 90
    350 swapped in for stock 305
    5" of suspension lift 33/12.5/16.5

12. Hey blue you think those bfg's are scary on ice try my tsl's.Swampers are the best off road tire you can buy hands
    down,but they are also the crapiest tires on the road that I've ever encountered!!!!If they only made a tire that worked in mud and on rocks like a swamper,and worked on the road in rain and ice like bfg all terain then that would be somthing to see!!!Nice pipe dream though,until the I'll stick with my swampers!
    I'd like to try a set of claws just to see how they work though!

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I haven't seen anyone mention the Goodyear MT or MTR. My brother has a set of the MT's and they are really nice, plus you can get them at the Tire Rack for $127 ea for a 35 or a 33.

Shipping isn't that much either.

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

14. Wazzzup Emmett,I think the $127 is for the mt only.I think the mtr is higher,the cheapest I've seen em is $189?I've heard bad things about the side wals on the mt's.How do his
    hold up?
    Oh ye,go ahead and post that 14 bolt if you want.I think the other rear we were talking about is going to work for me.Thanks for waiting!!

15. Emmettology 101

OOoooppppssss. Sorry about the price. At the Tire rack the prices are as follows for 35x12.50x15:

MTR: $157

MT: $127

Sorry about that!

Mike [​IMG]

16. Emmettology 101

I may keep it since you dont want it and I can get the axles re-done to a 6 lug. That way I can do a rear disc and not have to worry about the drums.

Thanks....

Mike [​IMG]

17. Hey Emmett,I talked to a junk yard today that has a 14 bolt
    s/f with blown spider gears.But it has six lug axles and drums,do you need the backing plates also?They want $150 for
    the axles and drums.Are you interested?

18. Emmettology 101

Yes and no, I really need those axles, but I dont have the cash right now. Hell that would be nice to swap it all over.

Where is this yard located?

Mike [​IMG]

19. Melbourne,KY ,its right across the river from me.If you would be interested let me know I could pick em up for ya.

20. Emmettology 101

Was this place in your phone book? If so, once I get the cash, i will drop you a line and see if you still have their number.

Did you get that private I sent you?

Mike [​IMG]