Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thoughts on truck tires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by James670X, Sep 23, 2004.

1. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

These tires are going on a 2003 Chevrolet 2500HD CC short box with the Duramax diesel. I use the truck as an every day commuter/hauler.
    I've narrowed my decision down to 9 tires (so far) and therefore I am wondering what peoples experiences/thoughts are on the following tires:

1. Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

2. BFGoodrich Commercial T/A (Traction)
    3. BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A K/Os

4. Toyo M606
    5. Toyo M-55

6. Bridgestone M773 SWPII
    7. Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO

8. Yokohama Geolander A/T+II

9. Firestone Destination M/T

Your help/feedback will be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    James

2. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

i have all ways liked the bfg's ko's they work good and look good on a truck like yours.

3. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have 35" BFG A/T on my K5 and love them. Actually had a bone stuck in one for quite a while (don't ask, I don't know what kind or how). It never lost any pressure on that tire. I have an uncle with the Geolandar's on his farm truck and he says he will never be without them. They are great on and off the highway. The other's I do not know about. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i love my BFG A/Ts, theyre awesome on road, and for an A/T, they awesome offroad. the Goodyear is a pretty good tire i think, a guy i surf with has some 305s on a 2500HD and he loves em. ive seen em on a lot of commercial trucks, so i think they do pretty well onroad.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

1. Goodyear Wrangler AT/S - good all around

2. BFGoodrich Commercial T/A (Traction) - ok as long as you never leave the road
    3. BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A K/Os - great all around tire

Toyo M606, Toyo M-55, Bridgestone M773 SWPII, Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO, Yokohama Geolander A/T+II forget all these Japanese tires, this is an American truck

Firestone Destination M/T - need I say more? Firestone? Besides being owned by the Japanese, their quality is very questionable.

6. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Toyo M606, Toyo M-55, Bridgestone M773 SWPII, Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO, Yokohama Geolander A/T+II forget all these Japanese tires, this is an American truck

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why?? Just cause they are jap. made doesnt mean they are garbage. Bridgestone has tire quality that rivals Michelin, which is one of the best tire manufacturers in the world. Ive heard lots of good things about the toyos, as well as the yokohamas, and bridgestones. Long tread life, good traction in most situations....I think any one of those tires would suit your application well. I had ATS on my daily driver for a long time and was very pleased with them as well. No experience with the Firestones...

7. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Goodyear ATS is a good all around tire, but not "great" offroad. Wears well and is quiet. I had a set for 55,000 miles with no complaints. BFG is always a safe bet as well.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why?? Just cause they are jap. made doesnt mean they are garbage. Bridgestone has tire quality that rivals Michelin, which is one of the best tire manufacturers in the world. Ive heard lots of good things about the toyos, as well as the yokohamas, and bridgestones. Long tread life, good traction in most situations....I think any one of those tires would suit your application well. I had ATS on my daily driver for a long time and was very pleased with them as well. No experience with the Firestones...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, just because they were jap. I don't drive a Toyota, and I'm not going to ride on Japanese tires. Some of us still believe in supporting American business in this country.

9. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

You should seriously consider a tire from Michelin. In the 3 years I used to bust tires, Michelins by far had the least complaints, ran the truest, needed the least amount of weight to balance, and lasted the longest. They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for IMO.

10. fordcummins1

Damn dude, the guy asked a question about tires, and what would suit his needs best for his truck, I dont think the original post was "I dont like Jap tires, which American tire would suit me best, so that I can support my country?" The guy just wants to know what things, good or bad, people have had to say about the TIRES, not what country they are made in, or anything about keeping "american business" in this country. No need to get all jerky about something, and change the topic to something else, or blow it way out of proportion.

11. fordcummins1

[ QUOTE ]
    You should seriously consider a tire from Michelin. In the 3 years I used to bust tires, Michelins by far had the least complaints, ran the truest, needed the least amount of weight to balance, and lasted the longest. They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that, Michelins are definitely a GREAT tire, and the same goes for me about working in a tire shop, definitely the least amount of problems or complaints from them.

12. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

BFG AT/KO

I have 295/75R16's on mine. Love them. Had to crank t-bars though.

John

13. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I would say the BFG AT KO's or, I hate to say it...... the Yokohamas. I've had those on my Tahoe for 2 years (replaced the BFG AT KO) in a D load rating and they ride nice, tow nice and are pretty good off road. Great in snow and rain on pavement, good wear and were MUCH cheaper than the BFG's.

Just my .02

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Firestone quality? Dont forget, a large part of those defects were the american workers slackin off/ rebelling.

And ford recommending a PSI lower than the tire manufacturer. How come we still buy fords?

Studies have also shown, over and over, that the explorer, would not "crash" even at speeds above 50mph, due to "blow outs".

It was mostly due to a combination of driver error in regards of how to handle a blow out.

Anyways, A lot of chevys and fords are now made in mexico and canada. Last time I checked, the U.S.A. has not annexed Canada or Mexico.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

firestones belong on a tractor

16. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have a set of the BFG K/O's and have driven vehicles with the GY AT/S's... The GY's seem to have better traction in the snow and loose stuff. So I'd have to put a vote in for them.
    Also have a couple friend with the Yokahoma's and haven't heard any complaints.

No personal experience with the others.

17. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It was mostly due to a combination of Soccer Mom's error in regards of how to handle a blow out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it for ya' /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. ugly_blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, just because they were jap. I don't drive a Toyota, and I'm not going to ride on Japanese tires. Some of us still believe in supporting American business in this country.

[/ QUOTE ]

Toyota trucks are made here. Sure, the company is still Jap, but all of the employees that make the trucks here are American, and will spend the money that they earn in our economy. Ford and Chevy have thier vehicles made in other countries. Toyota contributes just as much to our economy as anyone else. Nissans are made here too.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

Toyota trucks are ASSEMBLED here. Toyota contributes just as much to our economy as anyone else. (NONSENSE) Nissans are made ASSEMBLED too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed it for you.

Still Jap parts, just put together by an overpaid, american UAW worker to save the taxes.

20. ugly_blazer

If you want to be technical, I guess you're right... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I would drive one of the new Nissan trucks though, lot's of power.