Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

thoughts on using rear 63 inch springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by VisionxOrb, Nov 28, 2002.

1. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Im thinking of trying to put on 63 inch rears ( if i get them free from my friends 2002 silverado ), I have a rear ORD flip and was looking at it. couldnt i notch the underside of the flip close to the underside bolts so the bulg in the frame would fit in the notch and allow me to move the thing back approx 2.5 inches more. i figure with that and fliping sides would move the rear mount around 9 inches(and use a longer shackle) then move the front up 2-3 and i should be good? what do you guys think.

2. VisionxOrb

ttt, anyone tried somthing like this???

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I was planing to go this route then decided not to, the springs are way too long. I moved the front hanger forward 2.5" and the rear hanger actually ended up in the center of the hump. The shackle is going to hang way too low and will end up hitting the ground or rocks before anything else in the rear. I would suggest a custon leaf spring if you plan to go this route, so you can tuck the shackle out of harms way.
    I have since put the ford 57's in, but have not driven the truck yet and the springs move like crazy.

4. VisionxOrb

Hitting the rear shackle never really was a concern for me. Im more interested in just up and down travel because im leaning more twords desert prerunning than anything. I figured that teh extra length in the 63s would allow for a bit more up/down travel with the longer shackle or would it not really move anymore???

5. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

I Did exactly what your thinking about with reversing the shackle flip. I moved the stock front hangers forward 4.5" (had to cut the body mount and weld the hanger and mount to the frame.) Check out the ramp pictures for some details http://community.webshots.com/user/seattlek5 They work awesome, and the shackle hanging down isn't a big problem.

6. VisionxOrb

webshots says there no longer there or moved /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif . I really want to see how you did this. how much lift did you gain??? and thankyou for giving me more hope.

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i just picked up Yunitic's old springs..and they look a bit longer then what your pics show. are they really 63"s? im looking to slap em under my k15, so its shouldnt be as much of a problem

ryan

8. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

That's how I'm planning to do my Suburban. How much lift did it give you?