Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thoughts , Opinions , Advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big jimmy 91, Mar 20, 2005.

1. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I am looking into purchasing a 91 Blazer f.s. that was involved in a highway mutiple roll over this winter
    This may be used for parts or mabey put back on the road for a thrashing type rig (all body panels are smashed up allready:tongue1: )
    It is identical drive train to my Jimmy which is a good thing

Now since it was a severe roll crash , what things should I look for that my be damaged beyond use in the drive train??

Bent axel housings?
    cracked cases etc. (trans. t case)
    bent rims (minor)
    Or other things to consider?

If anyone has anything more to this , please add anything else I should consider before a purchase is made

Thanks

2. big jimmy 91

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

bent frame, big deal, hard/expinsive to fix

4. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

The leaf spring eye mounts on the frame may be bent.

The whole frame could be bent/out of square.

I think....:doah:

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

All of the above, and more.

Being the FD I have made many a wreck and a lot of parts can get wasted from high speed rolls, and or impacts. We clean up all the fluids that are left on the road. Many times while waiting for the tow truck, out of bordem I have taken the time to look over the drive train, easy to do when it's on it's side or upside down.. :p: I have seen some pretty bad fractures in diff housings, T cases, trannys etc...

Like someone mentioned, spring eyes get yanked, and elongated... shock mounts get ripped out of the frame... or cause a tear there. Look for any gear oil running into, or standing in the drum. Thin metal parts like fuel tanks sometimes get torn when the tank is pretty full, and end up with slow leaks.

Sooo.. give at all a very good going over before you buy. Also, if you find that most eberything survived (very poss if it was going slow enough when it went over) at the very least, even if you plan to wheel it as a beater.. make sure you go with a full cage. Now that the cab has taken the shock of a roll, it will be more likely to crush down in the event of even a slow roll while wheeling.

6. big jimmy 91

Thanks , I knew there were more things to look for that I did'nt realize , or think of.

Well I will go and have a close inspection of this rig as soon as I have the cash in hand

Again thanks for everyones input :waytogo:

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Rolls

A few friends have bought some "light rollover" repairables from junkyards--they found a lot of cracks in the frames behind the steering box(a weak spot that often cracks anyway)and the rivets that join the crossmembers were sheared off,and not readily noticeable--other than that I'd look real close at the frame and make sure its not "tweaked" and the axles and springs and the spring hangers--one truck had a warped axle flange that wobbled so bad you couldn't drive it--had to replace the entire axle housing--another axle would no go in when he got another shaft at the junkyard,the axle tube bent right at the carrier...--If you are going to beat it up anyway,you might be better off with a low priced rusty truck rather than one thats been rolled..:crazy: