Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thoughts regarding tire aging

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert D, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, this topic was brought up on a Porsche related forum I am also a member of. What are your thoughts regarding when a tire is unsafe to use. I don't mean like when it is worn out but having a stored tire. I've driven a car with original tires on it from the mid 80's, and they worked perfectly fine as the car was stored in a climate controller bubble. Here, I'll link you to the thread. here If you want to read it that is. The dispute between the poster Imo000 and I is on the basis that his posts deter potential buyers and have no fact to back them up.

What do you guys think?

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Has Tim entered the Porshe world after being booted from the 4x4 world?

:confused:

3. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

I'll bite. Who is Tim?

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

He was a know-it-all member here who wouldn't shut up even if he knew he was wrong. He was also a vendor here, and would bash on the products of other vendors. Just a typical asshat. He was banned from here, then from a couple other forums as well.

5. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

I wish this guy would get the boot. This isn't the first post he was jerk in on the Porsche forum. He also had something to say regarding a guy who was selling a car. The guy had bought the car months back and done a lot of preventative maintenance and repairs. He tried to do some body work on the car himself but didn't finish and was selling the car with lots of goodies the 944 guys want to put on their cars. It was like an unfinished project car with a great running motor and all of the cosmetic parts to put together...the guy had this to comment.

"Way to go, sounds like you ran this 944 into the ground. Don't be suprised if you get very little for it."

Everybody was like....WHAT? Haha there were some entertaining reactions to that.

What kills me is he is not even a paying member of the site. I'm not either (anymore, membership expired this year), but at least I don't own a Porsche to seek help for. Rather I provide other owners with assistance as I still know a bunch about those cars...some people are amazing.

This aside, any of you store your tires year in and out and still find them usable?

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have tires over 10 years old that still work fine for me. I wouldn't worry at all about tires 4~5 years old. [Sarcasm] How many Vipers and Vettes do you think are in the world with junk tires? [/Sarcasm]

7. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    I have a set of Super Swapers TSL's 36x12.5x15 from 198X(88 0r 89).
    They have been used in three states(Wash, Tx. and Az.)
    Are they any good ?

8. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

From what I have read, there is no defined way to determine when a tire is aged beyond use. If it has cracks in it...it probably isn't a good sign. BUT there are organizations which say 6-10 years is the limit for a tire...none of them have scientific evidence so I guess it is just a guideline...

9. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

My uncle has a 60 Vette with 1970 G60-15 bias ply's. Were on the car when he got it. Its a hoot to drive with 4.56 gears!! Besides the fact they ride like some wide bias ply's no probs.

10. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

I have a 72 sportster with the orignal tires on it and they are still fine

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It's probably more an issue of temperature and UV exposure than just time.