Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thread Maintenance ACK - Help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by merc359, Mar 29, 2005.

1. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

Hi guys,

I am sure this is in a FAQ somewhere, but I cannot find it and I am a rookie here at CK5....

How do I "close" a thread?

For example, I have some "GM Parts Wanted" ads that I want to close. How can I rename the thread or CLOSE the thread so that people don't keep posting to it?

2. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

there is an edit button in your post (bottom right beside reply) erase contents and rename closed

3. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

Another question

Ok, I got that. However, just one more question:

Doesn't that make the search function kind of ineffective? For example, someone might want to search the threads for "TH400" and if I have blanked out the contents, doesn't that make the search less powerful?

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

In theory, yes, but you're selling it, and if it's already been sold, it's not worth their time anyway.

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

The best thing to do is send a PM to a moderator (such as me :p: ) and ask that it be deleted. I'm pretty anal about unnecessary threads so I'd probably be the best person to PM. :rotfl:

6. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

Search Function

Yeah, with a sold item or a "Wanted" ad I can understand wanting to delete it, close the post, and totally get rid of it. However, for tech articles it is handy to leave it there.

For example, I had a question about the best way to get 4" of lift without using a standard over-the-counter lift package. I got a number of responses, some of which might useful to someone else in my situation looking at a lift package.

Does that information stay so that people can search it? Do moderators look at a post and evaluate it? or does it just get closed and trashed?

I only ask because I find that one of the most useful features of a forum like this one, which is damn good with damn good people and advice, is the ability to see what others wrote....sometimes 2-3 years ago.

Just a thought.....

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh tech stays, personally, I like for sale threads to be closed, but the info not deleted. That way if I have a similar item for sale, I know a fair price to ask.

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

PM me with the threads you want closed/deleted and I'll do it. We won't usually delete tech threads unless they get way out of hand or for some reason the original poster requests it.

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Feel free to delete my "Video Madness" post. It didn't really pan out

10. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yaaaaay, I love deleting! What a false sense of power. :)

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

99% of normal threads never get closed or deleted. They are left as an archive. As soon as they don't get any new replies they start to drop down the forum list and off the most current page. I just brought an old post back to the top from 4 or 5 years ago...because it had some relevant info.

Rene