Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Threaded Hydro belhousing bolt hole ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NoSmog73, Jan 1, 2004.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ok on the old cast belhousing the bottom holes was a little bit larger and the bolt threads used the tranny threaded hole to
    mount the belhousing
    On the new One the same holes are threaded and should I just get a drill bit and take out the belhousing thread and use the tranny hole threads like the old one..
    This is the old cast bel and the hole on the bottom is open with no threads
    [​IMG]
    this is the new one with the threads on the bel hole.
    [​IMG]

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You will need to replicate your old bellhousing to accept your old tranny on your new bellhousing, so that means you need to drill the threads out of the aluminum bellhousing.

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Thanks scott I was going to AIM you but posted here first...lol /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Just check something first - I am doing a hydro bell housing to a late 60's CH465 and I drilled out the threads located on the lower part of the tranny so I could thread into the new bellhousing - went to put in bolts and found the webbing on the CH465 interfer with putting bolts in, definitely can't get a wrench on a couple of the bolt heads. I am resorting to using allen head type bolts but even then I had to grind some webbing off the CH465 and still having difficulty. This is on a late 60's CH465 so if your are using a newer CH465 this may not be a problem - just look first before you go drilling out threads.

5. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Yea that was a hour of cussing at the thing before I got the 3/8 drive socket..(Smaller wall socket) and used the dremmel to take a very small amount off to get the smaller socket on the bolt enough to TQ it down..
    Like this..
    [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

That's minor compared to the webbing I had to grind off, I'll have to get a pic so you can laugh at my mistake /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif