Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Threads on Tranny F'd up??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Threads on Tranny F\'d up??

I bought a new beefed up tranny (R4). The 4 threads at where the the tcase adaptor bolts up to (on the tranny) are all stripped (my fault), so I'm wondering what my options are?

Here's the story: I wasn't thinking and I used 3/8" bolts to bolt the tcase adaptor to the tranny....I think it was actually suppose to take 10mm bolts....so the 3/8" bolts F'd up the threads /forums/images/icons/frown.gif. When I realized my dumb mistake (after putting in all 4 bolts, I took them out and the threads basically came out with em. (damn cast aluminum!). Thinking about drilling the hole out and tapping in 7/16", but then I'll have to drill out holes on my adapter as well....still thinking though....any ideas?? Thanks in advance.
    Boss

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Re: Threads on Tranny F\'d up??

Heli coils or thread serts are yer best bet.
    Might as well just make em standard threads now.

3. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Hey Boss, Try <a target="_blank" href=http://www.carrlane.com/product/Nav_0112.htm>this web site here</a>. The Key Inserts work great and you can chose from thin wall, normal or heavy duty.

Like said before, <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ion-beam.com/fasteners/Heli-Coil/Default.html>Heli-Coil thread inserts</a> work great also. I just preferr the Key Inserts since there is no special taps that cost a fortune needed and their shear strength is a little better.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've used the key inserts at work...they work great!

Rene

5. Boss

Power, Cali, and tRusty,
    Thanks for the suggestions /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I'm looking into this Key certs thing. I'm thinking I'll have to go with the thin wall since I really don't have much room to work with. Anyhow, thanks again.
    Boss

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are those blind holes or not? If you can, just run a nut/bolt on there. That would certainly be easiest if possible.

7. Boss

Two of the 4 are blind.
    The two that are not, I have thought about that, but there isn't really much room for a nut to be on the other side. Some of the housing get's in the way. I may be able to grind it off but not sure if I want to take that route, since, only 2 out of 4 will have the nut and the other won't...thanks for the suggestion though /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Boss

8. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey guys. Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but my question was in the same line.

My TH350 holes got stripped out too. I bought some EZLocks ( Nutty Company's EZLocks ) and am tracking down the tap I need. When I go to tap it, is there anything special I should know about tapping aluminum (or soft metals in general)?

Thanks!!

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

We use a specific tapping fluid for aluminum at work...but other than that it's just easier than steel. Anyways the stuff is made by Rapid-Tap and I think it just helps prevent galling on the tap itself.

Rene

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Dorian, you hit right on, I already did that on my old 73 blazer.
    Just got longer bolts and some nuts, but I think I had 2 blind and 2 open, still mad a difference in strength.
    I can't remember which though since it's been 10 years.

11. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

But this is slush box aluminum and I know you don't do slushboxes Rene /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif .

Just kidding. Thanks a lot for the help.

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I still recommend going with a bolt and nut on the ones that are open, you will make sure it will never strip.
    Mine stripped when I wheeled it hard not when I was tightening it or used a wrong bolt.

13. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

We used the Heli-Coils on my tranny about 6 months ago and it's still good.

14. Boss

Iceman,

Problem with that is you can't fit the nut on the other side. If you take a look at your tranny in that area, you'll know what I'm talking about, the "wall" there won't allow a nut. You don't have much room to work with on the open side.

Basically, what I did was I JB welded that broken piece back on. I drilled out both of the top two holes.
    I put in a wheel stud from the opposite side (through both drilled holes) (forget which size I used). I had to grind down the wheel stud a little, b/c of the "wall" on the tranny. JB welded the studs in place.

Then mounted the adapter and used lock washer and nut to secure it in place. Just used regular Metric bolts into the blind holes (threads were still good).

I know my solution was probably not the best, but it's holding up and holding up well too. Did a few wheeling trips since then and it's held up fine (keep in mind I have the doubler and that's a lot of weight hanging off that). Plus, it's my daily, so I've driven thousands of miles since then. (but the truck has been down for the past month waiting on my new replacement springs from ORD though /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif)
    Boss

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

What do you mean you'll know when you look at it?
    I told you I already did that and the only thing I had to do on one of them was to grind about 1/64" on one side to make it flush, it was angled.
    Only 2 bolts though if I remember right. But the next time I come across a 350 I will check and let you know exactly which ones.

16. Boss

Oops, I was refering to an R4, not a TH350. My bad.

I guess you could grind to make it work, but I didn't want to do that, since on MY R4, I would've had to grind much more than 1/64" to fit a nut back there. More like a 1/4" or so.
    Glad it worked for you though.

17. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't use the helicoils use the key inserts they are the best fix IMO. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I'm gonna take a look at it this weekend (and snap a few pics) and figure out what I'm gonna do.

I'm definitely doing the EZLocks in the "non-nut possible" holes /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I need to look at the tranny again for the other two.