Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Threat of eviction cuz my rig is "Ugly"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by xtrmjoe, Aug 24, 2006.

1. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

I was informed by my landlord today that the owners think my rig is ugly and I am no longer allowed to park it in either of my spots. It must go on street or in garage along with the trailer.
    Are they overstepping there bounds, they have said nothing about me woking on it or the few oil spots. It is the exact same as when I moved in 2 years ago except in the summer I take the top, doors, tailgate off for a few months. They asked if it even was the same rig. It was my daily until 6 months ago.
    Any advise on how to deal with this would be greatly appreciated!
    [​IMG]
    sorry for no pict my pc took a chit and there is no dam right click on these mac's

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  2. 78Buford

78Buford 1/2 ton status

I have no idea of what your rig looks like. Post a picture if you can. After reading your post, I am glad that I live in the country & have no neighbors within sight. :o

On a serious note: If it is licensed, insured, and street legal (or close), they will likely have a difficult time forcing you to leave. Unless everyone around you has BMW's in their driveway, who in the hell is the landlord to determine "what is ugly". ???

If possible, post a picture of your rig from kinda far away...with surrounding vehicles in the picture.

Roy

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

somthing smells like crap to me. like listed above if true then no way hoseay.

4. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

One word CAR COVER well two words

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I use to keep an RTI ramp behind my rental property years ago and the landlord told me it had to go. It wasn't junky looking, Painted up nice and clean. I called BS on him, I asked if it would be all right if I kept a boat in the backyard in its place and he said that'd be fine. Then I asked what's the damn difference?

Not sure if this helps you or not but I think he overstepped his bounds.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if its registered and insured, tell him to take a hike. while you're at it, tell him when he parks his car in your driveway that he'll have to move it, "its ugly"

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Id take a look at your Lease, if theres nothing in there about nusince abatement I dont see how he could do anything. Im lucky and have a cool landlord. My blazer is typically muddy, he always just says, testing out your Mudders again huh. I scoop up the mud that drops off and scatter it around the yard if it starts looking bad though. Im more worried about my neighbors getting pissed now that I live in an appt, then my landlord.

8. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Filling out yer "Profile" would help.........us help anyway, and a pic!

9. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had this problem when I lived in the dorms when I was in the Airforce. But it was Licensed and Insured so they couldn't do any thing

10. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

"Ugly" is their opinion about your truck, probably not too many laws based on a vehicles ugliness. On the other hand they might turn into real A-Holes about everything else you do if you tell 'em to pound sand about the truck. Some of my old landlords could never legally do anything about me and my roommates, but they sure made our lives miserable and we wound up leaving anyway.

11. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

unless there is a clause in your rental/lease agreement. there is nothing that they can do about it. the BEST way of handeling this would be to contact your local housing authority. they will tell you the law right down to the letter. your covered under renters rights.

12. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

Ha, I had a similar issue not long ago, got a notice on my door that my vehicle was "unsightly." I almost fell on the floor laughing. Unfortunately, they were pretty serious about it, and since we had 4 cars parked in our driveway, i had to move it to the street, before they started compliaining about the cars that couldn't be parked on the street. We even had my brother's Jeep parked behind our apartment on a little cement pad :)

However, I don't think they can make you move it if its all legal, I just had to move mine so they wouldn't complain about the ones that weren't...

13. peterpan

peterpan Registered Member

i own my house but i work really hard to keep my nabors happy as i own at last count 20 cars and trucks

i don't think he can legally do that if your blazer is running and registered and insured but yes he can make your life hell if you tell him to screw off so cover it up or work it out with your landlord

i built my blazer to be big,ugly,loud and offensive just to piss people like that off i would start looking for a new place if i was in you shoes

14. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

Here is what the lease says

"Parking spaces are to be used for operable motor vehicles, except for trailers, campers, buses or trucks(other than pick up trucks). Parking spaces are to be kept clean. Vehicles leaking oil, gas, or other fluids shall not be parked on premises. Mechanical work or storage of inoperable vehicles is not allowed on premises."

It did leak oil, but does not now with the new crate motor I just put in in the driveway. They have never caught me working on it. It runs, has current tags and registration.

But as stated they will pobly do there best to make my life misrible if I give them the finger on this one.

15. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If its registered and insured, nothing he can do about it, case closed.

Now tell your landlord that he has to kick his wife out of his home because she's ugly. If he gets mad, tell him its the same thing.

16. 78Buford

78Buford 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about making a reference to landlord's sexual partner in regards to the word "ugly" in my response, but I thought I'd be civil.... :D

If you like where you live, and want to stay there, I'd gather as much information as you can.

1. If you live in a city, search/call "City Code." Research laws/policies regarding your situation.

2. Speak to landlord (with information obtained from #1) in a civil, calm, yet firm manner.

3. Don't get snotty, but don't take shiznit from the guy/gal if it comes to that. If the conversation becomes heated, I'd end it with #4.

4. I understand your concerns. I have researched this issue with City Code. I have a licensed, registered, and insured vehicle on the premisis. Legally, there is little/nothing that you can do about my vehicle; However, I like where I live, and will work with you to resove this in a reasonable manner...what can we do?

If said person is reasonable, work with them. If said person is a prick....advise them to.........I'll not give any further advice. :wink1:

Roy

17. K30Blazer

K30Blazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ctrl click on a mac is right click on a pc. Lets see some ugly pics!

18. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

ya lets see how ugly it really is:D

19. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Personally, I think the truck is just gorgeous....:wink1:

I had a similar issue, except with the county and I live out in the country...

If you are completely onrey like I am, nicely tell your land lord to stuff it. The key there is you can't stop at that and think you have won, as they will likely try and find other ways to bother you and get you to move, as already mentioned. This is where you have to watch yourself and don't do anything that violates your lease. You then fight off any other bogus crap just like "remove your truck because it's ugly."

The bottom line is, land lords, big land owners, business men, and especially government officials HATE and I mean HATE being basically told off by someone "small" and "trivial." The government is the worst at this, as they want you to bow down and in a weaklean voice "what ever you say"....

I had zoning problems out in my neck of the woods, zoning inforcement accused me of running a commercial business on farm only zoned ground. We fought and fought and fought, and eventually won. But, every county official now hates us because they basically couldn't push over a couple of (in their eyes) dumb 'ol redneck farmers....

It doesn't end there though.... I've gotten very small amounts of irrigation water on the roads before (normal for farming areas) and immediately get a stern and insulting letter of legal mumbo jumbo about my water, and my neighbors don't.

What I'm saying is, you have good reason to put up resistance because you are essentially doing nothing wrong, but be prepared to continually have to hold your ground.

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my landlord is the bomb. I have had trucks parts laying around everywhere and she doesn't care. Old dead engine, chopped off body parts, lots of old pallets (fire wood supply) etc etc. I really do need to try to "catch up" with the junk one of these days and make it look a bit more presentable...

Her Ex-hubby lives right next to me... maybe she is just happy that I make him mad (if he even is, I dunno). lol!

j