Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

three major leaks!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by EDGE, Oct 10, 2000.

1. EDGE

EDGE Registered Member

Leak one=valve cover gaskets easy and already fixed.
    Leak two=oil pan gasket. Should I change the oil pump while I'm in there?
    Leak three=this is a really bad one,almost a quart a week!Where the front case and the rear case meet on the passenger side near the bottom bolt it leaks really bad.I alredy tightened the bolts and no luck.Can I pull the rear case off and replace the gasket or seal without pulling the t case?Any input would be greatly appreciated.86k5 208 t-case.

2. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

Pump and....

Better replace the rear seal while you are up there.

3. arnold88

arnold88 Registered Member

You have to pull the driveshaft (of course) and use silicon to seal it up. I had the same problem, the guys at Autozone and O'Reilly's both told me that no gaskets were used from the factory. So I bought the black silicon and sealed it up. It works for a while, but if you flex out much it pulls loose from time to time. I think I have redone that seal 3 times last year. You might also just go to your parts store and buy a sheet of gasket material and custom cut your own. That is how I think I will deal with it the next time. I agree you probably ought to replace the output seal while you're at it. I damaged mine cleaning up the housing last time. Hope this helps.

1988 K5

newbie [​IMG]

4. EDGE

EDGE Registered Member

Can I put that gasket material on without pulling the t-case?I'm pretty good at making gaskets but I need to pull the yoke and the rear part of the case to put it on.Can I pull those two without misaligning any of the goodies inside? THANKS

5. arnold88

arnold88 Registered Member

Hey EDGE, sorry it took so long to reply, been out of the country. You don't have to pull the tcase. Just pull the yoke and driveshaft, and unbolt the 4 bolts holding it on. You will leak some fluid so be prepared for that. There is a black plastic piece (it's pretty good size) that has 3 flanges on it, make sure you note how it came off. Just reinstall everything the way it came off. Let me know if you have probs. Later.

[​IMG]

newbie [​IMG]