Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

throtle solenoid

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Cheyenne, Mar 10, 2000.

1. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Just what is that small solenoid that pushes the throtle on the carburetor for? Mine seems to be affecting my idle sometimes it idles fine other times it revs about 400 too high and I belive this solenoid to be the culprit, but I dont know what it is supposed to do under normal conditions.

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

It is a cold start idle solenoid I beleive. It makes the idle do exaclty what you said, but is only supposed to do it when its cold.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

3. 79Cheyenne

So in theory: if my choke is operating properly and I dont move to Alaska I may be able to live without it?

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Does your truck have A/C? if so it could be an A/C idle compensator. when you turn on the a/c and it loads the engine, so the little solenoid kicks the throttle a little to keep up the idle.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

From my knowledge, that's the A/C solenoid that raises your rpm so you can steer and everything without stalling the engine from low revs. It should extend when you turn on the A/C.

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

6. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

As a 79 owner with Cali emissions i know for a fact that your solenoid is for your a/c...it is hooked into the power wire to your compressor (green)...so that while using the a/c and you come to a traffic light or an idle it brings your idle up to around 600 rpm to spin that big fan and cool the condensor...i can look in my 79 shop manual for the correct idle speed ajustment in rpm for you if you would like so you can make sure it is adjusted properly.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

It is for the A/C. And the Gentleman is right it compensates for the load the compressor places on the engine.

<font color=green>Eagle86K5

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

8. 79Cheyenne

Thanks for the info on the solenoid, yep it goes right to the compressor. My problem was the idle adjust screw would move in and out with vibration, I put a bit stronger spring to keep tension on the screw , it seems to be holding now.

<font color=red>THANKS

9. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Glad to help anytime. In the chiltons manual it describes all about it and hot to test and set it. [​IMG]

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral