Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

throttle body/ carburetor spacer: does it really work?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Nov 24, 2002.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I have an 88' K5 with a 350-TBI. Is it worth it to put one of those throttle body spacers on it? ($73.99 @Jegs.com) I know those Tornado Air kits are nothing but junk. I wonder if this is another one of those "If they really worked, then GM would have put them on at the factory a long time ago" type things. At the same time, has anyone installed/used one of the Holley throttle bodies ($316.99 @Jegs.com)? The setup looks a little more durable than stock and I'd sure love the extra torque and hp that they claim. thanks.

Matt

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Carb spacers do work. The thing about them is they need to be tuned to the engine. There are many different configurations and sizes for that reason. Belive it or not the best one is made of wood. The wood acts as an insulator from the heat from the intake and keeps the carb much cooler. They are not for everyday use though. I will look through my Chevy High Performance Magazine and see if I can find the article/writeup on carb spacers and post it.

John

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I got a very hard plastic spacer but have yet to install it. Got it for about 30$ off ebay. The plastic acts as a insulator (I dont know about the wood ones?) keeping the TBI from heating up. As far as I've heard some spacers work on some vehicles others dont.

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

The way the TBI spacers (any intake spacer) was explained to me was that the spacer allows the fuel air mix to atomize better, in turn the motor thinks it has a larger intake (like a hi-rise).
    2nd, something like a K&N filter (an open element, not a compressed paper element) allows for the tbi to pull in (the filter is not forcing air in, its allowing the TBI to pull what it wants too) more air, this also helps in the atomization of fuel particals
    AND, the smaller the particals are to burn, the cooler the engine will run, which in turn again makes more power.
    But like my last post said, works on some vehicle not all of them. Start with the filter then add the spacer see if you like it, You almost have to try it and see /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    There are some people that love them and the others list theirs on ebay!

5. BayouBlazer88

I've already got a K&N air filter, been having it for quite some time now. I certainly don't mind spending 75 bucks to make the engine run cooler and get more hp and torque. Do you have any recommendations as far as which ones are the best?

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I Have a Helix Power Tower. I love it it gave me some noticeable power was simple to put on and when you get on it it makes a kinda cool whistling noise like a turbo. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you are looking for more power out of your TBI and beings you have to pull it to put on a spacer anyhow.
    I recomend you get the folowing from:
    turbocity.com
    1. Air flow enhancer
    2. injector spacer
    3. 1/2" Throttle body spacer
    For about the same price as the spacer you want. You can buy all three of these items and they give more bang for the buck and will make a lot more power than just the spacer alone.
    I have these and other stuff from turbocity on my 89 TBI K5 and it works pretty much as they claim. It really improved my low torque end a lot. The 1/2" spacer is nice too because it didn't affect the TV cable. Sometimes those 1" spacers raise the TB so high that it makes the TV cable difficult to adjust on some trucks.
    Their high flow TBI is also a very good unit. Because it is a reworked GM unit.Which i think is far more reliable than Holley stuff. Plus you can get parts for them most anywhere.
    These mods will work best with a high performance exahust.

8. BayouBlazer88

Who sells the Helix Power Tower? I can't seem to find them. thanks.

9. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

summitt sells the helix power tower.

10. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

OKAY /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif, a throttle body spacer is not to keep heat off the throttly body/carb NOR does it atomize the fuel more. The spacers with holes in them will increase the velocity of the incoming A/F mixture therefore increasing torque at lower RPMs. Another tidbit, the spacers that are open increase the size of the plenum and will decrease velocity at lower RPMs, but it has performance gains at high RPM. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif