Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Throttle Body. I think I am going to do it.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gokartergo, Aug 17, 2001.

1. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have a 86 Blazer with the pain in the arse Q-Jet. It is the computer controlled one. I still have to deal with CA Smog Laws.. I found a place close by me that will sell a complete Throttle body system. Including the computer and intake and wiring. It was off of a Camero. The guy said all I would have to do to the intake is oval out 4 of the holes. Does this sound right. I do have a 85 style motor in my 86. What I was planning on doing was having a adapter made for the intake. But if all I have to do is oval out 4 holes. I think I would be better off with that intake.. What do you guys think. I am far from a expert on this matter and would like some input..Thanks Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

So it's the 4 barrel TBI. I've never paid much attention to intake matters since I'm already at the TBI stage. As for the intake, I think you would have to get the intake machined to accept the TBI due to differences in design, or does somebody already sell a TBI-acceptable intake for the earlier engines. As you can tell, I don't have a clue what I'm talking about; but you will like FI. Better gas mileage and manners, not to mention on my rig I don't have to worry about crummy rubber fuel lines like on the Heep to worry about breaking. Nothing like driving around and dropping fuel at the red light. [​IMG]

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Leader of the Advance Party for
    the CSA revolution in the PRK!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

3. gokartergo

I was going to have a adaptor made to accept it. But I wasn't to sure how much diffrence the air flow was in the two diffrent intakes.Dan

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

If no one on here knows, I would say taking a piece of cardboard or the adapter itself and check it against the intake itself to check airflow.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Leader of the Advance Party for
    the CSA revolution in the PRK!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

5. OneLeft

OneLeft 1/2 ton status

My 89 came stock with a TBI. I broke down and got the Edelbrock MPFI. it was a lot of cash, but I am VERY happy I went with it over a different TBI. I would check it out, if you have not already. The kit comes complete with the injectors, manifold, gas lines and fuel pump.

6. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

GM makes an adapter to bolt the large (2" throttle bores) TBI to the QJ bolt pattern. They used them on a 89 V3500 with the BBC engine. The adapter has provisions for running coolant through it to minimze icing in cold climates. I don't have the P/N handy, but I'm sure GM would have a few in stock somewhere.

7. gokartergo

So that means my intake should work ok. If Gm did what I want to do. I wasn't sure if my intake would even work. Or if I should use the one off of the camero........Dan

8. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

You intake will work just fine with this adapter.

9. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

hey,

I'm putting new vortec heads etc. on my 89... point???

well, I'm gonna have tbi heads, intake, tbi, cam (no wiring harness, but I also got the factory computer chip)... I know you said you had a lot of this off a camaro, but if you decide you want some of the stuff of a truck let me know...

in mine I'm putting the following; vortec heads, rockers, cam, lifters, intake, 454 tbi, custom chip, flowtech headers...

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff</a>

10. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well Dan most of the TBI setups are off of 5.0L third gen f-bodies most likely... so that mean you will probably need adifferent injectors and a I custom burnt chip... blah blah blah! Since you in the lovely world of Ca I would keep it simple....Fine a 5.7L truck TBI system and get the conversion to TBI down.,... do mods later. You'll need to do something w/ the fuel system... elc pump or change fuel tanks and pumps, run a return line, change the intake, cylinder heads, tbi unit, computer and wire it all in. I do have an adapter that would alow you to bolt the TBI unit on any 4bbl intake (aftermarket intakes work better w/ this) it is made by holley... but anyways it is just sitting here collecting dust so if you could use it let me know. Otherwise the 87 and up trucks I belive have the different intake pattern on the intake. You should be able to use your valve covers if they are centerbolt... I'm trying to remember exactly what my old 86 had on it... but anyways the FI would be an improvement over the choker carb style head design.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

11. gokartergo

Wy would I have to change the heads? I am going to add the fuel pump probably put that in the frame rail somewhere. And not switch the tanks. But I don't understand wy I would have to change the heads........Dan

12. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

You don't need to change the heads. I would modify the stock TBI manifold to bolt to your head, basically you just have to hog out the 4 center bolt holes since the angles are different. Another option is to use a Holley Pro-Jection adapter to bolt the GM throttle body to your existing manifold, the Holley and GM throttle bodies have the same bolt pattern.

Put the pump in the tank where it belongs.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

13. gokartergo

Thank you for your help. That is what the guy was saying where I am going to buy the throttle body from. But wouldn't it be a better Idea to stick the fuel pump in the frame rail where I would have easy access to it if I needed to???? Dabn