Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

throttle body spacer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by otisringle, Mar 4, 2007.

1. otisringle

otisringle 1/2 ton status

While sittin in my "office" doin my morning thang, I came across a throttle body space in a magazine. Says that it helps with enhancing power and fuel efficiency. Is this true, what are all your thoughts on this. Anyone have one, anyone like it. Is it worth the 100 bucks. Thanks to those willing to respond.

2. bbck5on37s

bbck5on37s 1/2 ton status

I use an AIRRAID spacer on my 95 k2500. It gave a very noticable diff. in tourque and a little hp. I did'nt notice but a mile or two diff in mpg. I got mine from 4 Wheel parts Parts for like $75 . It was worth it to me.

3. Blue90

Blue90 1/2 ton status

yeop

I put one on my blazer and it's a noticable diffrence. Nothing that will throw you back into your seat, but it's noticeable. :DIf and when you install it do not forget to adjust the tv cable after bolting the spacer down. (it's a step i forgot:o)

4. otisringle

is the tv cable somethnig easy to adjust? Im not to engine smart because I havent messed with them enough to know everythnig about em.

5. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

TV cables are extremely easy to adjust. Do you have a Chilton's manual for your truck?

6. otisringle

no I dont, I should probably pick one up though. Im guessing all the info is in there huh!

7. Blue90

Blue90 1/2 ton status

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183852 Here's the tread from my installation. Only listen to the people trying to discribe to you how to adjust it. Not the people telling you to make brackets and all that junk. Also here are a few snap shots of the area you should be looking at. (hint)The bottom cable on the right is the tv cable.

tv2.JPG

tv1.JPG

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

tv cables are not "adjusted" but set..

Decent spacers come with 2 small spacers to put under the throttle bracket to correct the cable geometry.. If these are not used, sometimes the tv will not have enough length to be properly set..

To set the tv. depress the "D" release button, pull cable sheath all the way to the firewall, release D button.. manually move throttle to WOT..

I run a TBI spacer.. minimal gains.. They tend to show improvements at higher rpm's, which TBI's are not known for..

9. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I can not say either way as my 1987 305 tbi has a flow master spacer on it when I got it. I can say doing 65mph on FLAT highway she gets 15mpg. Other info on truck is below in siggy. Hope that might help you.

10. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

Yes, the section to adjust the cable is less than a 1/4 page long. I was going to tell you how to do it (there's only 4 steps) but seeing a picture or a drawing of where the cable is attached helps if you've never adjusted one before. I didn't have a picture but I see blue90 posted one and Ryoken pretty much covered the instructions on how to do it. Good luck.

11. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

OK I have a wood Spacer between my TBI and the intake manifold and my truck runs fine with no problems and it also shifts fine except some times if i stay on the gas a little hard it will shift a little hard into second but other then that it runs fine. I bought it with it like that from the PO is this a weird thing or not? And would it be a good idea to take my truck to the dealer to see if my TV cable need setting?

12. ryoken

wood?

Are you sure it's not a phenolic spacer?

[​IMG]

If you want someone to check your TV setting for you, take it to a tranny shop... They more than likely will just reset it..

To really check it, you need to read line pressures...

Just do it yourself...Read my post on it, it's super simple... Go read up over at http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

13. Chrisblazzer89

Ryoken thats probly what it is. I wouldnt know what to say if it really was wood.

14. ryoken

Haha, don't laugh, I've witnessed lift blocks made of wood... :eek1: :haha:

Can you imagine someone sitting there whittling one on the porch? :haha: Actually it could be done rather easily with the right saws, drill press and router...

Read thru that link.. it gets a little confusing repetetive, but it covers everything... PM me if ya got any questions...

15. Chrisblazzer89

I just PMed you about something else.

16. ryoken

yup, replied...

17. otisringle

Thanks for the info guys. Like always, your a bunch of help!

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You will see better power gains with an open plentum spacer over the 2 hole kind. The 2 hole spacers just add more runner length and move the torque curvve down a little in RPM range. The better throttle response gives the feeling of more power. They really dont add power just move it lower in the RPM range

Open plentium spacers allow your intake to use both barrels of the TB. Increasing air flow = more power.

See TBI power Plate clicky:cfm-tech.com

Their Power Charger and injector spacer are also good power adders that give more power and a little better MPG. Their stuff works, and are easy and cheap bolt ons. I have been using their parts for years.

19. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

You could say your truck has a woody!:haha::p: :haha:

20. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

x2 :haha: :bow: