Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Throttle Cable tech - I need one longer than a K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudzer, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I am nearing completion of my trail rig and need to work out a few details, this being one of them. I have the K5 throttle cable, and it clips perfectly into the S10 pedal, as well as clips perfectly into the S10 square firewall hole, but the sheathing is too short. It will not attach to the TBI throttle bracket (about 1" short). Even if I modify my bracket, this will not allow enough room for body movement. I need a cable thats around 3" longer than a standard K5 cable. Do you have any sources? Post up.

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

tie-wraps and hose clamps? cmon... :)

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I have an Astro cable for sale that's long enough to probably allow you to move your pedal behind the drivers seat if you need it. :)

A TBI car (Camaro, 86'ish 4.3L Monte Carlo, Caprice) throttle cable may work for you, but not sure when TBI in all the cars (besides cross-fire) started. Probably still a bit long, but the earliest ones will use the same pedal end, likely same firewall plug, and hopefully same throttle body end.

The stock TPI throttle cable for a Camaro installed in my truck is maybe 6" too long, so I'd have to assume TBI would be the same way in regards to length.

I'd think a local parts place would have at least a small selection of GM throttle cables for TBI cars on hand.

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Didn't think about that Dorian - I will check the local parts store for an AstroVan or quite possibly a Chevy Van will work. Thanks guys.

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wonder what it is that I have in my 87C10? The cable is about a foot too long even with a body lift. I've got a huge loop in the cable.

6. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

I recently had to replace my 82K5 throttle cable...
    The one I got at autozone was several inches longer than my stock one, the reason probably being that it will fit more applications that way.

Blake

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just be real careful about the firewall plug and the TB end...at least TPI I know the TB end was either a barrel on the cable, or a clip, and I also know for a fact the later Camaro stuff uses a firewall connector that at first glance looks like ours, but upon closer examination requires a truck owner to open up/reshape the firewall hole.

If I was home I'd check the Astro cable to see for sure which end it uses. TBI truck stuff uses the same type of throttle connection as the Q-jets did for the most part, hole in the cable end and a round clip that held it in place, right?

8. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Neil,

I know for a fact that a cable from a 94 Caprice has the same firewall and pedal connectors as the S10 body, and a cable from a TBI Caprice (87?-93) should work well for you. I used the cable out of the 94 Caprice for my LT1 conversion into the 86 S10 Blazer body I have.