Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

throttle cables...Different lengths?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, May 30, 2006.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

I dunno if anyone can answer this but my truck came with a 305 it now has a 350 and i dont have much foot throttle. When i put my new carb on i noticed that i have a realy long cable (i looped it around electrical wires so it would work)

Is there a difference in cable lenghts?

I've gotta order a buncha parts from napa to fix my rearend, and i figured since im buying stuff i should find out and try.

thnx

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I t should be just long enough to go from the pedal , over the rear of the motor , through the bracket that retains it , and then next to the original Quadrajet/TBI unit . All the trucks I have disassembled or pirated one from worked with each other within the same era , I'e 70's to 70's and 80's to 80's .

Make usre the little plastic sheath on the end isn't broken and binding . And make sure to use double return springs , and never use it with no springs as it won't return properly without it .

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  3. broncoman6524

all of it is not broken or anything heres a pic. as you can see its too long and i had to loop it. Could it be that the metal retaining clip on the pedal end slid backwards over time?

[​IMG]

4. pauly383

No , it goes under and into the throttle bracket . And you may have to change the throttle bracket if it don't like your non original carb .

5. broncoman6524

its not the original carb, or intake... so what exaclty am i looking for when you say a different throttle bracket?

6. pauly383

One that either fits the intake , if equipped with mounting bosses . Or one that fits on the rear left carb mounting bolts .

You can get an adjustable bracket from any speed shop or order online . Allowing you to get the cable just right . The pedal should hit WOT by the end of its travel .

I ran a Edelbrock about 2 weeks on my 83 with the factory manifold and squarebore adapter . That cable was perfect as my 83 uses a bracket on the intake and a cable with short sheath and long wire ,

On my 77 I would have to buy a throttle bracket as I have a long sheath cable meant for the 70's trucks which have a bracket on the carb back .

So you may want to get an adjustable bracket from Summit or Jegs and play with the right length .