Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

throttle problem?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85k5blzr, Feb 13, 2001.

1. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

I have been having problems when i step on the gas. Sometimes i can press the pedal to the floor and it will take me like 30 seconds to get up to about 40mph. It is just really slow sometimes, but then the next thing i know, it works fine....any thoughts??? Sorry, i am new at this stuff and don't know much about engines.... i'm not even sure what kind of engine i have....any ideas on where to find casting numbers? I have no papers on it.

85 k5 blazer with an old 305....must have more power! [​IMG]

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Just wonderin . . . if you dont even know the kinda engine ya got, why in your "sig" does it say 305? Thats the slydog coming out in me, haha!

[​IMG]

3. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

i thought i had the the original engine in it, that had just been rebuilt, but it has a rear main seal, i know cause i had to have it replaced....ugh. And i have an 85, rear main seals didn't come out until 86 i think

4. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

The only rear main seal I know about is the seal around the rear of the crankshaft. This would be right between your engine block and transmision. These have always been there, regardless of year.

It doesn't really matter if its a 305 or a 350 when it comes to your problem. To me, it sounds like it could be a gas problem. Maybe your carberator or a dying fuel pump or something. Personally, I would start with the basics though ...... Fuel filter, distributor cap, spark plug wires, rotor, spark plugs, and even an air filter.
    If still you had the problem, I would go after the carb. Maybe your choke is acting up or something.

Do you have a digital camera? Take a pic of the engine from the front-passengers corner with the air filter removed and maybe we can see what kind of carberator you have?

Good luck, hope this helps even a little,

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com>http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com</A>

5. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

i know it isn't the fuel filter or air filter cause i replaced those and i am running the same gas i always have been. It usually only does this too when ever i am accelerating from idle or low rpms.

6. SuperUnknown

SuperUnknown 1/2 ton status

It does sound like a fuel system problem.
    Does it rev up high or bog down when it is doing this?

Aluminum running boards, rock sliders, same thing.