Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Throttle Return Control help needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bedford boy, Aug 4, 2004.

1. bedford boy

bedford boy Registered Member

I need to reinstall the Throttle Return Control on my 85 Suburban. I think the original was vacuum operated and i can't remember where the vacuum source was. Can anyone please help? I have an electrically operated one from another truck but don't know if i can use it.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Isn't it just a spring that pulls the throttle linkage back closed? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. bedford boy

No, It's that solenoid type device that's a part of the emissions system. It's vacuum operated, if you have a Haynes manual chevy trucks 67 to 87 it's on page 6-21. These manuals tend to be extremely vague and it doesn't mention the hook up. The description is "This system opens the throttle lever slightly when coasting to reduce the emission of hydrocarbon". (I think the electrical one i have is a idle stop solenoid..)

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

got the book, never seen one of those, must be a california thing /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. bedford boy

I'm sure it is, the California emissions.... sorry, smog, is a pain. My truck slightly "backfires" or "burbles" as my daughter says, when i take my foot off the gas peddle. If i keep a little gas and slowly reduce it the noises never occur so i'm thinking this device will cure my problems as it seems to gradually reduce the throttle position at the lower end. This isn't a big deal and not really worth posting but i'm interested if anyone else has these problems. Thanks.

6. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

ah the luck years of 85 and 86..your screwd..

...moves on to next post /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Not familiar with that particular year, but I had a guy ask me the same thing once and after looking at his vehicle I found what he thought was the "vacuum operated throttle return" was actually part of his cruise control system (black canister with rod going to throttle linkage). Not saying this is the case but vacuum operated throttle returns sounds a little scary to me (cracked vacuum lines, disconnected vacuum lines, etc could make for a pretty crappy day).

8. bedford boy

The carb has the usual return spring and i assumed that this device "dampened" the throttle slightly when the gas peddle is released. However, i now think that this device actually increases the idle speed slightly when the a/c is turned on, doh.

9. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I repeat..your screwed /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. bedford boy

I thought being screwed was a good thing!!!