Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

throttle sticking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DaneW, Dec 3, 2002.

1. DaneW

DaneW Registered Member

I was driving home the other day and I noticed that I didn't have to keep my foot on the gas to maintain speed. When let go of the gas the rpms don't come down unless I hit the pedal real quick. I checked all the throttle linkage and didn't find a porblem. It only sticks a few hundred rms above idle, then when I tap the throttle it comes back down. Could this be a carb problem? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Disconnect the cable at the carb and see if the lever is binding. Check the pedal at the same time. Then lube everything up real good. It could be the carb, the pedal, or the cable itself. </font color>

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

FIX IT IMMEDIATELY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

This is VERY Dangerous....

You will not stop if you are on the freeway and go to get off the off ramp.... if it's at Wide Open Throttle!!!

A new cable is 25 bucks!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Go get one now!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have had this with a lot of my GM's most of the times it was the butterfly valves, I just run it and spray some WD40 inside the throttle bore and on the linkage outside.
    I do that every couple of months and when I don't for more than 4 months I get the sticking again.
    Try it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

also, check your return springs, they could be stretched out??

6. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

also check that it isn't binding on the bottem side of you're air cleaner.
    had this happen before, but mostly after wide open throttle.
    but worth checking.
    dave

7. blazerman78

blazerman78 Registered Member

The same thing happened to me yesterday, but it was a stupid mistake on my part. I just finished my motor a few days ago, and it isn't perfect. I have a Holley 4 barrel off a f*rd that is a pos, but hey, it was free. It idles too fast, and I tried to kick it down before shifting into drive, but, to my surprise, it kicked up! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I almost panicked, and tried it again, but it still didn't work. A 350 at about 4-5000 rpm is pretty scary with my turbo mufflers and dual exhaust, especially when you're not expecting it. This scared the crap out of me, so I shut it off and took a look under the hood, and one of the spark plug wires was holding the linkage open! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I immidiately fixed the problem. I'm glad it happened now, in my yard, instead of on the road!
    Now I just gotta either fix the choke on that damn carb or replace it with one of the ones I have lying around.

8. DaneW

DaneW Registered Member

thanks for all the info guys. I parked it till I can find the problem, don't want any surprises. I'll give those suggestions a try later today. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

Bump*

hehe I am just bumping up this tthread till I fix same problem on my truck. I was thinking maybe timing was getting off? I am going outside right now to try the ideas on this thread that I read.
    Odd thing is, in the morning I do not have this problem,but when it is hot outside, this always happends after a quick push on the pedal. On the way home from work,I hit the gsa hard,idle went UP, I tapped the gas real quick (this usaully works) but no this time. My truck sat in front of my house after I turned it off, and gurgling and then it farted bad. oh well ,outside I go. brb. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

10. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

Wala! It seems to be the Throttle spring is stretched out. After I turned the truck on and hit the gas,the idle went UP and I pushed down the lever that the spring was supposed to return and my idle came back to normal.
    Looks like I am making a trip to Auto Zone lol. If it doesn't work,I will post again /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Wala! It seems to be the Throttle spring is stretched out. After I turned the truck on and hit the gas,the idle went UP and I pushed down the lever that the spring was supposed to return and my idle came back to normal.
    Looks like I am making a trip to Auto Zone lol. If it doesn't work,I will post again /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The return spring helps but most of the times the hi idle system doesn't disengage correctly until you blip the throttle.
    We never got it fixed but learned to live with it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif