Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

thse that run 40s 0r 42s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by d coenen, Apr 20, 2006.

1. d coenen

d coenen Registered Member

i got a set of 40 inch tall tires by 13.5 iwant to put on my blazer i got 3/4 ton springs maybe 4 inch of lift with those and a 2inch body lift. what ineed to know is how much back spaceing i need? iam willing to cut the fenders as much as needed . and if you got pictures i would appreciate it. the reason i need to know back spaceing is cause they are ag tires and rims.so it is a totaly diffrent lug pattern. so we will cut out the centers and put in 1/4 in plate and cut are own pattern. all the help you can give me i would appreciate it . thanks guys

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

3-4 inches of backspacing will be fine. gonna have to cut some no matter where the backspacing is.

3. d coenen

d coenen Registered Member

4 inches will be better right cause you wont have to trim as much right? and 4 inches of back spaceing wont hit any thing but the fenders? i need to know as much as possible cause tommorrow were going to start on them . pictures would help alot if any one has them. i would like to keep the inner fenders if possible.

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

rene runs 39.5s with 4 inches of lift and massive trim, but kept inner fenders no idea on the backspacing, but im sure its in his profile and or posts.

trustyk5. search for that.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If you're willing to trim, don't worry about the backspacing... it really isn't THAT big of a factor. If I was you I'd get 3-3.5" of BS... that way if you ever move up to a 60 you won't have to grind them calipers too much. :thumb: Backspacing tends to be more of a major factor with 35s, or 37s.... because its possible to "tuck" a tire into a fender when the suspension is flexed up. With inner fenders in there and 40s or 42s... it ain't gonna "tuck" very well at all... the tires are just too wide.

j

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I run 3.5" of BS and 5" of lift. The lift has sagged a bit though, so probably closer to 4" total.

The big trick is to move the front diff about 1.5" forward. Without doing that you'll be hitting the floor/firewall area with the tire when it stuffs. As for fenders I cut my fronts when they were off the truck and cut them so the area the inners bolts to was still there...barely. The rear/lower part of the inner went though.

[​IMG]

Rene

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

diggin that pic tR. For a long time I was kind of following along behind your rig... sorta a similar build plan. Somewhere along the line though I saw project Freak, the new UAV etc and things went horribly wrong from there. ;) :grin: chicks dig the madmax-style truggy... gotta do it. :thumb:

j

8. tRustyK5

Yeah, i can understand that...I think those builds are cool too. I am still committed to the ultimate DD/weekend warrior build though. I have no room for a trailer + tow rig which pretty much dictates how extreme I can get with the mod's.

If I ever roll or flop it hard that could all change though...

For now i still drive it to work and wheel it when I can get away. Being street legalish makes things a ton simpler for me.

Rene

9. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

must be nice lol i like how you said legal ISH"

10. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I dont drive mine to work.. couldnt afford the gas.. but yeah I dont have the $$$ for a tow rig which would make a 4th vehicle, then a trailer..... plus no where to keep it....

I agree on the legal-ish part.. my truck is legal (minus mud flaps) and I NEVER get bothered by the cops... can jump in, go tug a friend out and come right home if need be..... weekend warrior and grocery getter if needed...:haha:

11. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I really like your fender trimming and want to do the same. I am getting 37's with 5 inches of lift front and six rear. What size are your tires. I am going to trim. I like how yours are slightly flared around the edge (or is my vision wrong?). How did you do that?

12. tRustyK5

Legal 'ish' because around here you can't have tires sticking out past the body...so technically I'd need some flares. Also don't have an E-brake.

I never get bothered by the cops though. I drive it like a sane person, and for whatever reason the flat black just doesn't get a second look from the cops. :dunno:

Re: the fender trimming. That lip is very slight and is just the leftover from what was there originally. It wasn't intentional at all, that's where the cut ended up. For whatever reason it seems to be more visible in that pic than in person...must be the light or something.

Rene