Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thumb drives

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mrk5, Jul 27, 2004.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Looking into getting a couple for our shop. They need to be 1-2G. Just wondering about any good/bad stories. Also good brands and good places to buy.

I was reading what happened to 55Willy, and I started to get concerned about our stuff. We do have a fire wall in our system, but we just don't get backups done like we should. We have over 10yrs of customer files that would kill us to loose. So in order to get everyone, including myself, to backup; it needs to be something simple. I have a thumb drive someone gave me for my laptop, and it is very simple. Just drag and drop. So, that is why I'm thinking of using one for our work computers.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

The little drives like that aren't exactly an ideal way to back data up. I'd recommend buying some backup software and a small backup server, that way the backups will run automatically and you'll be able to maintain archives. Nobody even has to remember to back up, you can set them up to run at night automatically. You could also by a small tape drive to put in one of the machines and back everything up over the network to that machine, the tapes are cheap and can hold as much as 100GB of data.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

get the full corp version of norton system works 2004, it includes a program called ghost that can be made to run weekly monthly or nightly to backup the drive as a whole or sertine folders. Norton also scans all incoming and outgoing mail. If your computers are on a network you can toss in a 100-200GB hard drive in the server and mark off folders for each machine/person to access and backup to. I run Ghost Weekly, nortan anti virus every other day and ad aware the ever other other days. Once a month I hit the panda antivirus online scanner. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

If your on XP machine, there are several "services" that can be disabled (most of the remote access stuff) and then turn on the windows firewall and keep the machines on windows updates weekly to keep the holes patched. I'd say thats a minimum that anyone should do being online daily. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

buy a burner and burn them to cd or even better a dvd. each cd will hold 700megs a dvd will hold 4.8gigs

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    One step in a good backup plan that many people overlook is that you need to store copies of your backups OFF SITE! In the event of a fire or other disaster, having your backups in the same building as your computers is useless. They'll burn up with the computers and the rest of the building. I've seen published statistics that state that over 80% of small to medium sized businesses that lose all of their data go out of business within 12 months. So no matter which option you choose, be sure to totally protect youself.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's why I was thinking of thumb drives, easy to transport off-site. Right now we burn the data to cd's and zip discs but they go in a safe in the shop. I'm not convinced it's fire proof.

I start checking folder sizes, and just one of the folders that I need to back up is 3.3G. So I guess thumb drives are out. We are on a network, but we don't use a server. So I'm thinking maybe an external hard drive.

My objection with a server is that wouldn't it still be just as susceptible to outside access?

[ QUOTE ]
    get the full corp version of norton system works 2004, it includes a program called ghost that can be made to run weekly monthly or nightly to backup the drive as a whole or sertine folders. Norton also scans all incoming and outgoing mail. If your computers are on a network you can toss in a 100-200GB hard drive in the server and mark off folders for each machine/person to access and backup to. I run Ghost Weekly, nortan anti virus every other day and ad aware the ever other other days. Once a month I hit the panda antivirus online scanner.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was just thinking of getting Norton. That's what we used in the Navy, and I've never heard anything bad. Where does it backup the data to?

[ QUOTE ]
    buy a burner and burn them to cd or even better a dvd. each cd will hold 700megs a dvd will hold 4.8gigs

[/ QUOTE ]
    The problem is that we have CD burners now but the data is too large for one CD and so some of the people in the office won't do it because "it's too much work".

My biggest obstacle is that I'm dealing with my in-laws here. So I can't just say, "You'll do it, and you'll like it!" I have to gather as much information I can and then convince them it's worth it. So I really appreciate everyone's opinions. Hell at this point I'm happy we even have a network and dsl. That took a lot of convincing. Of course now they all love it.

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was just thinking of getting Norton. That's what we used in the Navy, and I've never heard anything bad. Where does it backup the data to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Norton doesn't there is a program call Ghost that comes in the Norton program that does. You can also get a stand alone software called vertias (sp?) backup.

[ QUOTE ]
    My objection with a server is that wouldn't it still be just as susceptible to outside access?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes the server would be open, it is to protect and back individual machines daily/weekly. If it (the server) has or was built with a firewire port grab a 360GB (or a big) firewire HD and back up the server once a week (it will take most of the day to backup the server) and then keep it offsite. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

DVD backups are ok, but even for the data on my machine it would take 9 disks just for my music and 3 more for data and images... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'm looking at a 80gb firewire drive to do backups once a month then drop it in the safty deposit box at the bank /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif