Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thumping sound coming from driveline.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by duece21, Nov 28, 2004.

1. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

For about a year I have been swapping from my swampers and BFG AT's because i picked up the TSl's for cheap. Recently I went back to the BFG's for the snow and I started hearing a thumping sound that was timed with the driveline speed. First think I thought was a U-joint, but both are tight. I lifted each tire and spun them around and found no flat spots or bad rotation. The right front caliper is catching a little bit and probably needs replaced, but when i got to the rear tires I narrowed the sound down to the transfer case and tranny. Question is what causes that, bearing or gear catching on something? 700r4 and 208 combo. Thanks in advance.
    Jesse

2. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm working thru the same sorta problem now, except that mine is not timed with driveline speed....sorta erratic.

I felt mine while holding the shift lever, and was able to affect it by moving the lever a bit, or shifting to 4wd.

I bought the bearing/seal kit ($122) and dismantled the TC...there I found the range fork was ground down to a knife edge, and couldn't hold the teflon pads....so I ordered that ($52), and a new chain ($92) just because I have it all tore down

It's all snap rings...I've got about 3 hours invested in it so far replacing bearings, seals, etc....and I've cleaned Everything really well...took about 20 minutes to drop out....there are 2 snap rings that are real boogers, so make sure you have quality snap ring pliers

Wrecking yard wanted $250-$400 for used...rebuilt runs in the $600-$800 neighborhood....I will have $250 in mine, plus I now know what's in it...

you'll also be doin yourself a favor to have seal puller for one of the bearings, and a couple of the seals

3. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Yeah its definitely transfer case, I put it in 4wheel this morning and heard a terrible noise, sounded like maybe chain going out, but who knows, I'm going to check pull & save next week for used if not its time to start pullin it down.