Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thunder AVS or Truck Avenger? Need thoughts quick!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txbartman, Aug 1, 2003.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Howdy all! I have a buyer for my crappy Edelbrock 1406. It delivers nice fuel for my 400+ HP, but cuts out at even the slightest of angles (like curbs! well, not quite).

I want to replace it with a good off-road carb. I have always been favorable to Edelbrock (I run many Edelbrock parts on my motor), but have heard lots of good things about the Truck Avenger. Then again there is price. The AVS is $30 cheaper than the Avenger ($380 vs. $410).

What are y'all's thoughts about the two and which way would you go?

Gotta get a new carb on it ASAP! TIA!!

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i went with the q-jet from jet performance and wouldnt want anything else its the best carb i have ever ran this is from experience just my 2 cents /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Thunder AVS-isn't that basically the carb you have with the off-road kit in it, I'd say no. Holley sounds decent enough, but then its a Holley and who knows for sure /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I really think the Q-Jet is the way to go for an off-road carb, no need to reinvent the wheel, just use what works. The edelbrock is suppose to be good, as well the Jet Performace, which is cheaper than any of the ones you mentioned /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

at least at summit the Jet QJet is only about 50 or 40 cheaper than the Thunder AVS. Thats the lowest level one.

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I'm curious, what kind of angles do you obtain without stalling? My 1406 stalls at around a 15-20* angle. I am very resistant to rebuilt products. I know the Jet q-jet is only around $350, but that's a big chunk of change for a rebuild.

I am not interested in a new q-jet as I do not want to drop $460 or a rebuilt for $360.

If I am dumping that kind of cash, I want new.

No, the AVS is not the 1406 with the offroad kit. There are a few more mods and features than that. I am quite interested in the easy adjusting secondaries. Here is more info.

Guess I should restate my question as it wasn't exactly clear, has anyone had experience with either the Edelbrock Thunder AVS or the Holley Truck Avenger?