Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"thunk" on take-off

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Dec 22, 2001.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

\"thunk\" on take-off

Lately, I've notice that if I take off slowly, all is good...no wierd stuff going on at all...But If I start to take off slow then gas on it a bit, there is a "thunk" that seems to be coming from the rear end... What could this be gang...It seems to be fine if I get up top about 15-20 then stomp on it but if I go slow ro like 10 then hit the go-pedal..."thunk" and slight jerk follows [​IMG] thanks for your input...

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Re: \"thunk\" on take-off

what is yor set up in the rear? Do you have a Detroit back there?

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Sounds like a normally functioning detroit locker. Or maybe a gov-lock in it's death throws? Like he said, what is back there?

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Do you have lift blocks? Sounds like what I used to have - axle wrap. Horrible feel/sound but really doesn't seem to hurt anything.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Couldn't it just be a normal GM rear end clunk??? our 89 p/u and 94 burban do the same thing- after numerous trips to the dealer with the 89-- I finally got the answer from a technical service bullentin from GM- its NORMAL, its the "play" in the rear end. It does it more if you slow down, then jump the gas? is that the klunk? just my thoughts but with 2 rigs, 1 with over 300k miles on it, and no rear end trouble-I'm satisfied with GM's answer on it-

--Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yea, no Gov-Lok or Detroit....Its open back there...It hjas most likely been there but I may have just notices it...I do have lift blocks...so that is a possible cause as well...I will check it out some more tomorrow...I@ am replacing the tranny in a few weeks and will throw in new T-case and tranny mounts for good measure...

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

It has been my experience that it is caused by the slip joint on the rear drive shaft. Lifting usually exacerbates the problem...try a squirt or two of grease in the slip joint and see if that helps.

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

8. 90BlazerK5

90BlazerK5 Registered Member

I have this too... part of it I'm thinking is in my lift blocks... getting rear springs though, so I'm not worried much about it. However, changed hte filter and fluid in my 700-R4 tonight, and that solved a LOT of the problem in mine... clogged filter and old fluid I guess.

Where did all these damned dirty apes come from!?!

9. vince13

vince13 1/2 ton status

My guess would be you u joints on the driveshaft. i am having the same problem with my truck and same syptmos too. check the u joints. most likley what it is.

73 Blazer 1Ton 6inch lift, 3 inch body, 36 inch swampers
    79 3/4 ton suburban, soon to be 6 inch lift, 3 inch body, and 44 in boggers. Oh ya

10. talison79

talison79 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with mine, but it just took a couple of turns with the rachet on the tranny/ transfer mounts at the cross member, to get rid of it.

Talison79

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hehe, I guess I've got lockers on the brain. [​IMG] Lots of good ideas here. Not sure about lift blocks, I've run 4" blocks a couple of times and never seen it. However, it could be compounding another problem. The drive shaft slip joint and/or u-joint sounds the most promising since you have an open diff. When you get on the gas, the pinion will rise, shortening the drive shaft by a small amount. Plus, acceleration squat shortens it even more. If the spline is sticking, or a u-joint is bad, that might do it. Blocks could compound/exaggerate that problem by making the pinion rise more due to the additional axle wrap from leverage on the block.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Look under (from off to the side!) while someone starts to drive off. You'll most likely see the slip joint suddenly change in length, just as the thunk happens. When the slip joint gets old and worn, it tends to bind under load. But as you take off from a stop, the pinion rotates, forcing the driveshaft length to change. The binding splines release suddenly, with a bang. Greasing the splines up really well will reduce it, but eventually the solution is a new slip joint

13. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

You could also check your rear brakes. If you have a leaky wheel cylinder or axle seal the shoes could be contaminated and grabbing. They will make an audible thunk when they release.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

14. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Registered Member

That almost same thing happned to me. My spider gears went. That is worst case sonaro, but hopfully it is an easy fix.

88 jimmy 350, 700R4, open 3.73, stock hight

15. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Registered Member

Re:

That almost same thing happned to me. My spider gears went. That is worst case sonaro, but hopfully it is an easy fix.

88 jimmy 350, 700R4, open 3.73, stock hight

16. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

You know, I have the same thing going on in my truck, and I'm pretty sure it's not the tranny mounts. The only thing I haven't looked at yet is the driveshaft, and this slip yoke problem sounds like it might be a possibility.

How hard is this to fix? I'll have to crawl underneath the truck tomorrow and take a look.

Thanks!

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

17. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

My 89 does the thunk..
    only when i hit the gas hard.. feel's like it's coming from underneath my feet ..
    what could it be?

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Danno, the "easy" fix is to grease the splines well. If that doesn't stop the binding, then the next step is to have a driveshaft shop replace the splined part of the driveshaft. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

19. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Looks like my rear drive shaft has already been replaced once. ARgh.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

20. johnnyK5

johnnyK5 Registered Member

I have a thump up front too!! I was told it was my full-time front hubs going bad.?...dunno..

"Baby it first, floor it second!" -correct.
    "Floor it first, baby it second!" -incorrect.