Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thunking T-Case?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 73CowBlazer, Jul 25, 2000.

1. 73CowBlazer

73CowBlazer Registered Member

I have a 73 Blazer with minor mods 35's and 2" body lift. A bit of cowprint about the truck ala gateway hence the name. Teenage daughter drives it. Problem is bad thunking increasing in frequency with speed, but close to one thunk per second. Doesn't happen in reverse in any t-case setting. Changes character with different t-case gears. Any ideas prior to towing to tranny shop???

2. collegeK5er

collegeK5er Registered Member

sorry i can't help you, somebody here can but just thought i'd say it's nice to see some more people from houston
    chris

Doin' it all on a college budget

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

What transfercase do you have? NP203 I would assume, but check your U-joints first. Bad U-joints makes a horrible sound everytime the front drive shaft rotates.
    Boss

4. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

I would have to concour. It is probably your u-joints. Had the same problem, was more of a vibration than a thunking. Get under and give them a back and forth movement a check for play or "thunking".

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

5. Boss

When my U-joints were bad, mine made a "Thunk-squeek" sound, like they needed greese. It sounded really bad. Thunk-squeek, thunk-squeek, thunk-squeek as I rolled along.
    Boss

6. 73CowBlazer

It's a 205 and I checked the u-joints by jerkin' em around under there. The strange thing is it does it in 2wd and 4wd but changes the noise. I guess it could still be one of the u-joints on the rear drive shaft but I sure didn't feel any play.

7. Boss

In 2WD, make sure your Tcase is in 2hi and not just your hubs unlocked. Sometimes when I shift from 4Hi to 2Hi it really aint in 2hi, but I think it is. Then I go and drive and it feels like everything is normal, until I get under the truck and try to turn the front drive shaft and I can't. Then I realize that I'm not really in 2hi. Anyways, the front drive shaft still turns freely when you are in 2WD. Is the noise quiter in 2WD (like really quiet), but in 4WD really loud?? if so, definately Ujoints
    Boss

8. 73CowBlazer

Took it to tranny shop and Jeff just called and said he had a piece of ring gear in his hand out of the original 12 bolt rear end. I guess a rebuild or something to swap in is now in order. What is the cheapest way to go? With one daughter just starting a Texas Tech I need to save all $ I can.
    Broke 73 Blazer

9. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

call around your area for prices on a junk yard special

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

10. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

12 bolts are getting hard to find any place any more but the gears are easy to find I'd put in a new gear set and go on should cost you less than 500.00 to have the shop so the work and buy the parts

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

11. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear that Cowblazer dude. I'm sure you would havge prefered a bad u-joint!!

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

12. hpfire7227

hpfire7227 Registered Member

HA HA!!! I was going to say REAR END, but I read this post too late. Oh well. My 89 did the same thing when the 10 bolt grenaded. Bad news, beleive me, I feel your pain. Just make sure a reputable shop does the rebuild if you go that route. Rear-ends can be difficult to get right. And remember the break in period for the new gears.

10 BOLTS O' FUN

13. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

can you use just a ring and pinion set? I have a 12 bolt I am pulling out of my truck. no problems that I know of, just upgrading to a 14 ff. it has 3.08 gears. I can ship the gears or the carrier and gears.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

14. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

hey man i live in fort worth and can meet you half way or so and you can have the 12 bolt out of my 80 model just got a new 14 bolt this week you would not have to pay shipping just gas and a little cash for the axle let me know and it is your my email is bigb4x4@hotmail.com.

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com