Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tibus Offroad Locker is now TeraFlex T-Locker?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Looks like Tibus sold the design to TeraFlex....??? Anyone have any G2 on pricing or availability? They're site claims the 35-spline D60 is available NOW, but I can't find a link to a distributor who actually shows it.

Also, there is a description that the locker can be manually engaged/disengaged if the air actuation ever failed. Does this imply that it could somehow be setup for a simple mechanical cable actuated setup (ie. An OX locker-type deal?) Seems like a good way to eliminate some complexity and failure points if it were possible...... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Check out www.killeraxles.com for the design of that locker. That tera-flex locker is really similar to the Tibus Offroad ones. I believe that a vacume, air, & electrical acuators were offered. The over-ride is a threaded hole that allows a bolt (of sorts) to push the fork into the on position. I am waiting to hear more too.

3. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    Check out www.killeraxles.com for the design of that locker. That tera-flex locker is really similar to the Tibus Offroad ones. I believe that a vacume, air, & electrical acuators were offered. The over-ride is a threaded hole that allows a bolt (of sorts) to push the fork into the on position. I am waiting to hear more too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt,

If you go there, you will see that it now has a link to the TeraFlex site as the distributor/manufacturer. The appearance of the T-Locker is VERY similar to what I used to see on the Tibus site, with the exception that the original diff cover said "TIBUS" across it, and the T-Lockers have some sort of goofy scorpion or swirly logo on theirs......

...nothing that an angle grinder and an 80-grit flap disc couldn't fix in about 2 minutes!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Link: http://www.killeraxles.com/html/dealers.html

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

and look at the application page here.

A selectable locker for 14bff /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

One of the users on here, prjt_blzr, was talking with Tibus last year about getting a 14-bolt version of their locker. At the time, they told him that they were in negotiations with a US company to manufacture and market the product. Looks like the folks at Tera were the company in question. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Looks like the toaster got smaller.
    Anybody seen a price yet?
    I'd rather use a cable, too.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

pricing?
    I want to replace my powerlok asap
    didnt they used to be vacuum operated?

8. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    pricing?
    I want to replace my powerlok asap
    didnt they used to be vacuum operated?

[/ QUOTE ]

mj,

Last I saw, I thought pricing was in the $900 range....

The good stuff is that they seem QUITE serious about the 14BFF selectable locker, and according to the person I spoke with at MEPCO4x4, they already had a few of them installed and were out trying to break them.

The locking mechanism can be actuated by air, vaccuum or electric solenoid (at least from what I gleaned on the Tibus site)...so pick your poison. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a mechanical cable if it can be made to work.

The design is German which gives me a sense that the design will be solid and well-executed....

I am still a bit wary about the fact that it requires a proprietary cover, and I'd really like to get a closer look at the "toaster" (as someone called it) to see what it's made of, and how likely it is to get smashed by a rock, or simply be in the way of steering components..... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

The 14BFF locker sounds like vapor ware. I started speaking with Daniel from Tibus last February about buying one. After a lot of calls I thought that it was real and that I would have one in June, July, August..... Then the news that it was sold to TeraFlex and maybe I could get one before SEMA. Then after SEMA. I sent an Email to TeraFlex a couple of weeks ago. I don't have the Email handy but it was the end of this year or next or the year after that.......If you need a locker for the 14BFF try the Detroit. Not good for towing over mountain passes but there are not many choices and the vendors don't seem to really care about full size guys very much. If you must have a selectable locker, the D80 or Sterling 10.25/10.5 seem to be the way to go unless you score a D70HD that fits. A standard D70 has a few problems with the carrier bearings taking out the housing. I have not yet found a way to deal with that.
    Good Luck,
    Mike

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, there is a description that the locker can be manually engaged/disengaged if the air actuation ever failed. Does this imply that it could somehow be setup for a simple mechanical cable actuated setup (ie. An OX locker-type deal?) Seems like a good way to eliminate some complexity and failure points if it were possible......

[/ QUOTE ]

no, you put a bolt in it. it slides the fork over. if it is still the tibus deal anyway. petersons did a review in a blazer on one. D60 model. they say they were enguaging it at 3/4+ throttle and it held up in the dunes real well. its what i would like to get. it in the front and a spool in the back.
    Grant

11. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    The 14BFF locker sounds like vapor ware. I started speaking with Daniel from Tibus last February about buying one. After a lot of calls I thought that it was real and that I would have one in June, July, August..... Then the news that it was sold to TeraFlex and maybe I could get one before SEMA. Then after SEMA. I sent an Email to TeraFlex a couple of weeks ago. I don't have the Email handy but it was the end of this year or next or the year after that.......If you need a locker for the 14BFF try the Detroit. Not good for towing over mountain passes but there are not many choices and the vendors don't seem to really care about full size guys very much. If you must have a selectable locker, the D80 or Sterling 10.25/10.5 seem to be the way to go unless you score a D70HD that fits. A standard D70 has a few problems with the carrier bearings taking out the housing. I have not yet found a way to deal with that.
    Good Luck,
    Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I hate to be one of those guys who can't hear anything "first-hand" so I just called TeraFlex today and spent some time talking with one of their tech guys. Here's the basic info:

1. TeraFlex DID in fact license the Tibus design... it sounds like it's been in the works for quite a while.

2. The product exists in small quantities and has been in torture-testing for about the last 6 months. The latest round of delays are due to some redesign and refinements that are being made to increase it's durability/longevity. This is not a bad thing...as the tech mentioned "It important that we get it right the FIRST time out." True, if they have any quality problems early on, that reputation is likely to stick with them FOREVER.

3. Pricing - No confirmed pricing yet, but it's clear that they want to be cost competitive with the ARB solution. He was hesitant to give a firm price but "around $900" was confirmed as a fair guess.

4. Availability - It looks like 4 more weeks for the initial release (which will include the 35-spline D60, the D44, and D30? stuff that was originally listed as "available now". Presumably, these are all being reworked with whatever improvements TeraFlex decided they needed. The 14BFF is unfortunately NOT in the initial release....

Anyone else with new info is more than welcome to fill in the blanks about this interesting product..... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

12. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

A couple of thoughts on your info.

1) I concur that the license deal has been in the works for a while. I heard about it in Sept/October of last year.

2) I have heard about the rare few of the 14BFF version that have been out there. My time line on those were spring of last year. There were then "production problems" that delayed the locker. I agree that they need to be right the first time. Most folks that run a 14BFF have them there for more than appearance reasons.

3) Your pricing is a bit higher than I was told. That is probably due to TeraFlex building them at the moment and I would assume that they have more overhead than Daniel did.

4) I was told six weeks for these axles about two weeks ago. So that still lines up.

From talking/Email with Daniel and Wolfgang from Tibus, these things are rugged. I am not trying to bash the product. I was actively watching the development and trying to buy one for a long time. I would still buy one today if they were available. My concern is that the unit just doesn't ever seem to get to market and it reminds me of the 14BFF ARB unit.

Hopefully one or both of these companies will complete the design for our axle soon. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    Mike

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

ty
    looks like detroit for the front