Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tick tick tick ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bowtied, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Registered Member

Howdy all, My 87 350 tbi has picked up a "ticking" noise. It is most pronounced when accelerating and engine temp has little or no effect. I'm thinking maybe a lifter? Is there any quick fix if it is a lifter or will I have to replace them?
    Thanks, Bowtied

2. BrianK5

BrianK5 Registered Member

I've been dealing with a tick also. It only ticks when accelerating and gets faster with speed. I've narrowed it down to the EGR solenoid. Where is the tick coming from? Make sure it's not something on top of the engine before you tear it apart to get at the lifters.

1985 K5 Blazer

3. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

Check timing then if you have to adjust the valves before you start pulling lifters and also make sure your oil dip stick reads full.

Eat More Mud!!!

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My dad has a Ford F150 that has a tick. It has been diagnosed as a lifter, and he just lets it run. It has been running for 20K with the tick and we haven't had any problems related to the lifter sofar. The rest of the truck is a POS, but the motor still runs fine. The ticking is the reason my dad even got the truck. It was a work truck at hs work, and his boss was convinced it was a rod tapping, so he sold the truck to my dad for $1. It has 20K on it or more since we got it with the ticking the whole time. No problems yet.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Make sure that you've ruled out a exhaust manifold leak before you start worrying about internal engine problems. I had a 74 Chev 1/2 ton with a similar ticking - I was positive it was mechanical because it sounded too much like a bad lifter. It ended up being a loose exhaust manifold.......

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I second Canmore on that. Exhaust manifolds no matter how convinced you are can be so decieving I once thought I had a tick as well from a lifter and it was the manifold....dont be fooled if you haven't checked the maifolds lately check them first.

Definately a pavement pounder...with the caveman clutch

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Check to make sure that it is not pinging by filling up once with premium or by retarding the ignition a few degrees. Then you could try some of that "honey" that they sell to help quiet valvetrain noise. It would not be a good permanent fix, but if thickening up the oil makes it go away, that helps you narrow down the problem.

<font color=green>Top signs you don't have a real 4x4:
    4) Twin Traction Beam
    3) Made by D.C.
    2) 5 lug nuts
    1) Unibody</font color=green>

8. Bowtied

Bowtied Registered Member

Hey guys thanks for the good info. I'll have to see if I can tighten them down any. I hope that's it, I really don't have time for any major repairs right now.

I do appreciate ya'lls help.
    Bowtied

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

this happened to the sub, it was a valve and we had the heads rebuilt. not saying you need to have a head job done but that's what happened to us.

--Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub>http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub</a>

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm going through this right now. Mine comes and goes, sometimes when I start it, sometimes not, usually after a long drive at a constant speed, then it starts when I accelerate after stopping. Yesterday it dd something wierd, it actually stopped ticking before I shut the motor off... I'm swapping it out today, and then rebuilding my motor after I yank it... Much faster solution for me than tearing the motor apart in the truck and losing use of the truck for however long that will take, and I'm not even sure if where it is....

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Your ad here.

11. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem on my S10 and I notice when fuel sprays in the throttle body that one of the nozzles spray in bursts causing a ticking sound. $.02

"We all gotta go sometime.... Race ya"