Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ticking lifter in the morning...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan B., Sep 9, 2003.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Seem to have a lifter tick that is getting a little louder every time when i first start it up for the day... It goes away after about 5 minutes.
    Time to re-adjust the valve lash?
    ...If that doesn't get it is it time to replace the lifters?
    I've heard something like mixing in a quart of ATF for a day and then changing the oil might help clean out a sticky lifter b/c of the detergent in ATF?

It's a 350 with a 'vette cam hydraulic lifters, probably about 50,000 miles on the cam and lifters.

Any tips?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I've used Marvel Mystery Oil in the past with great success to free up a sticky lifter. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Another way to go would be to get some flushing oil, basically it's really thin, very high detergent oil. You put it in and run the engine at 2500 RPM or so for awhile, then drain it out and put regular oil back in. My brother-in-law had a real bad sticky lifter in his 98 Suburban, the flushing oil did the trick on that one. </font>

3. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

I am assuming it stop ticking a few seconds after you start it. The problem isnt neccesarily a stick lifter, but a lifter that is bleeding down due to bad seals. Never worked to much with the marvel oil, but have heard good things. If it doesnt work and the cam isnt too old you can replace the lifter, or the whole cam while your at it, but im sure thats not the answer you want. By the way, GM sells an oil additive specialy designed for lifters, you can get it at any GM dealer. Dont know a part number or remember excactly what its called, but maybe they can find it for you.
    I wouldnt mess with the lash since it stops ticking, this means that the lifter is pumping up to take up the slack like it should, its just loosing its prime when it sits overnight.

4. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Lifters have seals in them? Thats news to me. Show me said the blind man. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Sorry, bad check ball. It was 2:30am i couldnt tell my A$$ from a hole in the ground. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif