Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ticking like a Timex

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dcryer, Jan 27, 2003.

1. dcryer

dcryer Newbie

I have a 84 K-5 5.7L. The problem I am having is when I start the truck up in the morning, it sounds and runs fine (when its cold) but when it warms up I get a ticking noise. It only happens when there is a load on the motor, not when its idleing. I was hoping its an exhaust leak...hopely its nothing serious. Can anyone give me a little insite as to what it might be? Thanks

2. Tice

Tice Registered Member

sounds like an exhaust leak. it may also be your rocker arms tapping but i think it would do it all the time if it was rockers. Tice /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Same as above..also, do you have headers? sometimes they can make a ticking noise that sounds like it could be something else

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

sounds like exhaust to me does it change with the rpm?

5. dcryer

dcryer Newbie

I have stock headers. The sounds gets worse with increased acceleration, but when I ease off the gas it kinda goes away. Like I stated before, you don't hear the noise at idle only when I put a load on the engine. Thank for reinforcing my first thought, because I thought it might be an exhaust leak. I will work on it this weekend.
    "Happy Wheeling All" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

start it up some cold azz nite, like cold enough to see exhaust steam, then look under the hood and under the rig for any steam comming out where it isnt supposed to with a flash light.

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Just start it in the dark.If the leak is big enough to hear inside truck you should be able to see it.Run RPMs up bout 2500 or so and let off quickly.Should see light flash at leak. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

the clicking doesnt mean its a back fire, just means that it is leaking before the muffler, good idea though. also look at all the joints and look for ant soot. mine did this and it turned out to be a broken manifold, but the crack was behind the stupid heat sheild