Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ticking sound

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kiblsnbits, May 26, 2000.

1. Kiblsnbits

Kiblsnbits Registered Member

I was driving with the top off the other day, next to a wall going about 15 mph, and I could hear from the sound off the wall a clicking sound coming from my truck. It comes mostly at slow speeds when I let off of the gas, I havent had it on the highway in a couple days, so I dont know what it would do there. Is this probably a bad u-joint? If it is, is this hard to replace? Im new to cars/trucks, would I be able to do it myself? Thanks

Blazer: A hole in the air, surrounded by metal, into which one pours money

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Wheel-bearing?(sp)
    I think there is a way to tighten it, cheap fix

<font color=blue>Espen88k5</font color=blue>

3. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

That ticking noise is the automatic clock thats built into every Blazer that tells it when to break the NEXT part and cost you some more money. Could be anything from loose lugnuts to u-joints in axle or d.shaft or even leaking exhaust gaskets or donut gasket. Drive next to it in other vehicle in large parking lot to narrow down where its coming from.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I had a u-joint start to go and the exact same thing alerted me to the problem- driving beside a raised curb. Get under the truck and push and pull on your driveshaft. If a u-joint is on the way out you'll get some movement one way or the other. I also agree with Eddatree- it could be something as simple as an exhaust leak, too. But most exhaust leaks are more noticeable when the motor is running cold as everything expands when the truck warms up.