Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ticking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bobalob, Jan 7, 2006.

1. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

This dang ticking noise started about a month ago real quiet and has steadily gotten louder and now I can hear it over the no cats, little flowmasters, dual exhaust(loud). First thing I did was listen to the top end(just put new cam and lifters in about 5-6 months ago) but the origin was lower and farther back. Started looking for some holes in the exhaust but found nothing. Now as I hang from the frame like a monkey(ground is about 3 inches of mud and water:p: ) the noise seems to be eminating from the clutch area between the exhaust pipes. Is this possible? Whats going on? The throwout has been squealing occasionally and sometimes(pretty rarely) the clutch will slip and burn at a ridiculous rate(not lately). I have never even seen whats inside the bellhousing:o so I am kind of hoping the problem is located there giving me a reason/chance to see whats what. First off I was planning to adjust valves and get a better listen to the top end to reassure myself that is not where the problem resides. Any ideas or suggestions would be great as I am most definately a noob:laugh: . Oh it is a 79 K5 3/4ton carbed 350,465,205.

2. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I know you checked but if you have manifolds check again. I searched a few times on mine and never found the problem until I replaced the gaskets.

3. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

pop open the cover and check the flywheel bolts. I had one loose and it made a really strange ticking noise.

4. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

sounds like the throw-out bearing.does it change in sound when you push in the clutch? If it does than deff. throw-out.

5. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

yeah when driving in gear ticking is loudest and when clutch is depressed the majority of what I can hear over the exhaust is alleviated. Any which way it sounds like now would be a good time to replace a tired clutch, throw out, and have flywheel resurfaced?? Any tips/tricks to dropping/reinstalling tranny/transfer/clutch, or can they just be unbolted and pushed back? Also decent clutch kit for cheap suggestions. Thanks:bow:

6. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Borrow or rent a tranny jack. This makes this much,much easyer also grab a buddy as the 465/205 is a heavy pig. Definetly re-surface the flywheel. as far as a cheap clutch any factory spec. remanufacture should do fine. A tip on re-install is to make sure you get the clutch linkage adjusted properly, 1/8-1/4 of an inch of free play is about right. Removal and reinstall pretty strait forward, lots of grunting and sweating! dont wait to long as the trow-out can scar the input shaft. good luck and if any ? let me know.

7. tolovana

tolovana Registered Member

If the clutch linkage is in order and adjusted properly, the throwout bearing is out of play and won't make any noise. The only time it can make noise is when the clutch pedal is depressed which engages the throwout bearing whith the clutch pressure plate. No matter it sounds like you need some clutch work anyway. Drop the t-case, drop the tranny, and the rest is pretty easy. The tranny jack will help but isn't necessary if you've got a couple of strong friends to help. As for the ticking noise... If you're running headers, I bet a dollar to doughnuts you've got a small leak. Replace the gaskets top and bottom. Good luck...

8. bobalob

bobalob 1/2 ton status

Yup headers and I am going to replace top gaskets(welded on the bottom) and do another check for holes/leaks before moving on to the clutch(would prefer to put off for another 1-2 months). Also was thinking of cutting out sections of header to block flange at this time.

9. tolovana

tolovana Registered Member

You might try to just tighten the header bolts. The two on the back always seem to give me fits. If it's still rolling I understand the waiting a couple of months on the clutch... Probably still pretty wet down there. Here I would be lying on a 2" thick sheet of ice. I use a cheap plastic sled to slide around on; not the most fun I've ever had.