Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tie down straps and chains??

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by sapper, Oct 17, 2003.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Okay where do you buy what you strap the truck with at?? Also what are the differences between chains and straps, after reading the axle/frame debate i plan on just doing both and not worry.

2. agrezy1

agrezy1 Registered Member

i use a trailer supply house out here in cali for all my parts you should be able to buy the d-rings at a trailer supply shop i pay about 8 bucks a piece for the ones rated @ 5000 pounds i could send some pics if you like so you know what they look like the straps i use are about 18" long with metal ring on each end wrap around the diff hook a chain in it strap it down with chain and binder,binders you can get at any truck supply place i use westfleet.com good prices and it comes to my door. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

4. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

I dont know if you have a "Tractor Supply Co." in your neck of the woods but that is where I bought mine. I didnt get a deal of nothing, it was kind of a purchase of need if you will. I think I paid $25 each for 5K # ratchet straps and $5 ea. for axle straps (4 ft long with metal D-rings). Not exactly possitive on price but that is what I remember. I do remember it was about $130 for everything with tax. I'm sure you will have no problem beating this price!

5. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I prefer chains over straps because of the big increase in strength. Simply put, straps can break. I chain around each axle, down to the trailer and let the body float. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I use straps that I got from work. You can get the same ones where you work. I'm sure some one can supply them for you. They also have them at www.summitracing.com.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I prefer chains over straps because of the big increase in strength. Simply put, straps can break. I chain around each axle, down to the trailer and let the body float. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you to a point, but they use straps to hold down those huge hunks of steel on semi trailers.

8. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A chain can break...it has happend to me. It was under extreme duress, I had to break EXTREMELY hard and I lidt the chain. The truck slid WAY forward on th trailer but it it did not come off. I have since stuck strictly to straps. I think that if you look hard enough you will have people tell you they have had straps break. SO it really come down to what ou prefer.
    I also like that a strap is eaier and cleaner , for the most part, no rust , than a chain.

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Straps are SOOOO much nicer to handle...lighter, cleaner, easier to store, easier to hook up, etc....