Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tie Down Thoughts

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Smitty, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Just finished tying down the truck on the trailer. Getting ready for the big move from OK to FL. I went with two chains and binders on both the front and rear axles. To keep the body from bouncing around too much I used six straps, (two front, middle and rear), from the trailer to the frame of the truck. Anyone see anything wrong with this arrangement?

Also, is it a good idea to put the auto transmission in "Neutral" to eliminate possible problems with the parking mechanism in the transmission? I really doubt this thing will be going anywhere during the trip and if something happened that was strong enough to move the truck I don't think a transmission in "Park" will stop it.

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I leave mine in park, there is enough play in drivtrain/parking pin that the truck doesn't move enough to put any pressure on it. It sounds like it should be strapped down good, check the tension of the straps/chains on every stop. Did you cross the chains on the axles or run them straight out to the tie-downs? Good luck on the move! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I ran the chains straight since they're going to restrict the forward and reverse motion of of the vehicle. I figure the straps will handle the side to side forces.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just finished tying down the truck on the trailer. Getting ready for the big move from OK to FL. I went with two chains and binders on both the front and rear axles. To keep the body from bouncing around too much I used six straps, (two front, middle and rear), from the trailer to the frame of the truck. Anyone see anything wrong with this arrangement?

Also, is it a good idea to put the auto transmission in "Neutral" to eliminate possible problems with the parking mechanism in the transmission? I really doubt this thing will be going anywhere during the trip and if something happened that was strong enough to move the truck I don't think a transmission in "Park" will stop it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only thing I worry about is that you have the axles tied down so your suspension can move then you tie down the frame so you compressed the suspension, how tight did you go on those? If you hit a pot hole or a rut, will the truck bounce and the suspension compress more? it will bounce back up and hit the straps hard, or even worse could loosen up enough to where the hook could fall off and you lost your attachement.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I think I've compressed the suspension enough that I shouldn't have a problem. I'll keep an eye on it though. Here's a link to a picture of it on the trailer (if I can get the link to work...).

My 56

The photo doesn't show too much but you can get the idea.

6. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Smitty,
    From towing my trail rig a bunch, I really think you'd be better off leaving the rig in park, and then binding the axles to the trailer. And leave off the straps to the frame. You'll get a lot of shock loading on the straps when you hit bumps. If you break a strap the vehicle will be loaded unevenly. Just my experience. Good luck,
    Jeff

7. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What about both? I was going to tie down both axles then tie down the frame as well to compress the suspension...

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Don't you run into a lot of problems with the sprung weight bouncing around on the trailer?

9. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Willys, That's what I'm saying I don't like to do. I just tie down the axles, not the frame.

Smitty, I've tried tying down the frame to compress the susp (long ago). Looking in the rear view mirror, there was all kinds of banging and jarring when I hit bumps. Without tying down the frame, the rig just seems to float there without any impacts.
    One thing to remember is that the truck weighs 6000lbs and the trailer weighs 1500lb. When the truck goes over a dip and unweights, it could potentially lift the trailer if the frame is tied tight. I prefer to let the vehicle suspension work with the trailer suspension to smooth the ride and give the whole shebang more travel.

Again, just my .02. Others are free to disagree.
    Jeff

10. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to add... Give it a try with your set-up. Your straps look plenty strong. You can always remove them along the way if you choose. I'm sure you'll be fine either way. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have towed both ways, chaining down just the axles and strapping down the frame. On a truck with a stiff suspension that is hard to suck down I prefer to just chain down the axles. I have had far less problems with the load shifting that way.

12. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I checked out your pic. The yellow straps that you have from the trailer to the frame is usually all that we (me and my friends)use to haul our trucks. We only use two straps, 1 front and 1 rear. We connect 1 end to the trailer, go around the axle, and then connect the other end to the trailer also. This holds the truck on just fine but we only make about a 20 mile trip with it. It looks like what you have should work fine. I prefer straps over chain and binder because they can continue to get tighter if you need to whereas a chain and binder sometimes seems like it is too tight or adjust a link and it seems too loose. BTW - That is a crazy awesome lookin' truck, I would want to be sure that it stays on the trailer too /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

EDIT - Also be sure that the bearings on the trailer are greased good and tight. They look like they may be 3500 LB axles, if they are then you will be close to your max weight on the trailer.

13. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Thanks to everyone for the inputs on strapping this thing down. I'll try it the way it is then try it without the straps on the frame. It's not a big deal to put the straps back on if it works better that way.

Also, thanks for the complement on the truck. I've been working on it for 3 solid months and it's looking like it might turn out ok. Still a lot of work to do but it's one of those things that will never really be finished. I've already gone through the bearings on the trailer and I have two extra complete sets packed in grease in a ziplock bag. Just hope I don't need to use them.

14. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

slightly different setup, but when i haul cars on the flatbed, i only chain/binder them from the suspension components, wrap the chain around something on the suspension, the around something on the trailer, then use the binder to tighten it up, sure they bounce around, but they are definately not going to go anywhere, especially if you get the chains tight enough, and also make sure after alittle while of driving, you stop and go back there and recheck the chain tightness and they usually loosen up a bit from what movement that they can do, then after that they are usually pretty good to go from there.

I ran my chains from front suspension, rearward towards the trailer, wrap the chain through the side rail,(again, slightly different setup than you m ay have) then towards the rear axle and around something on the rear suspension, then the binder goes between the front and rear wheels, on the edge of the trailer and pulls the chain tight, but there are several different ways to chain down a vehicle, 4 chains, one on each corner, and such, i simply did mine this way as it was less use of the binders and less chains, but still holds tight.

Brought 3 cars back from Albuquerque,NM to Phoenix, AZ this way.

Will get some pics next time, looks like an awsome "tow rig"
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

BTW,,,i would also remove the straps and just make sure you have a good tight chain connection to the suspension.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I run straps and chains both. I have been just running the chain in the rear though...makes more sense to me, easier, etc.

16. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I checked out your pic. The yellow straps that you have from the trailer to the frame is usually all that we (me and my friends)use to haul our trucks. We only use two straps, 1 front and 1 rear. We connect 1 end to the trailer, go around the axle, and then connect the other end to the trailer also. This holds the truck on just fine but we only make about a 20 mile trip with it. It looks like what you have should work fine. I prefer straps over chain and binder because they can continue to get tighter if you need to whereas a chain and binder sometimes seems like it is too tight or adjust a link and it seems too loose. BTW - That is a crazy awesome lookin' truck, I would want to be sure that it stays on the trailer too /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recommend having two straps on each end (4 total). The concern with only having one strap on the front and one on the back is that if one strap breaks or loosens the vehicle is no long secured to the trailer. With 2 straps on each end you should still be okay if one breaks. You also don't get very much side-to-side load holding with one strap wrapped around the axle that way......the whole vehicle could shift without the strap actually loosening.

17. willyswanter

After reading Billa's towing tech article on pbb yesterday I think I'm going to use chains and ratchet binders...

18. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Watch using a chain to go around the axle itself. Both of stephens axles have a nice groove worn in them from the chain rubbing on the axle if it loosens up, and it will.
    We started using loops welded to the axle to atach chains to or a strap center section in a chain to go around the axles. We don't tie the suspension down.

19. willyswanter

Yeah, I was thinking of using a sheath over the chain where it goes around the axle tube, it's a nylon tube that is like 3 feet long that you can position anywhere on the chain, there like $10...

20. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think the sheath would be fine for a while then wear thru itself. I am always amazed at how much material is missing from tie downs ect. that see chain pulled thru them.
    Moving chain is a wonderful material remover.