Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tie rod canyon run in las Vegas area...Pic's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stallion85, Aug 8, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Tie rod canyon run in las Vegas area...Pic\'s

Last night I went on a run with a couple clubs here in Vegas. We had about 15 rigs total on the trail. Wheelin was all at night from around 8pm till 3am /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I was very sleepy by the time I headed home. Anyways the trail is rated a 4 you must have at least one locker prefrably in the front if you don't want to take the go arounds.33" meats for Heeps and 35" meats for full sizes. The white burb is driven by a new friend of mine named Dean, he is a great guy and always attracts big crowds when he is climbing 9 foot waterfalls in an 8K pound rig /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif The driver of the white K5 with the wheel shredded off from the studs is named Daryll, also a really cool dude (great spotter)/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif My K5 is the one Without Doors /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif Enjoy the pic's they never do justice as to what the obstacles look like in person /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    POSER!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Tie rod canyon run in las Vegas area...Pic\'s

Where exactly is Tie Rod Canyon? Night time is the only time a person can go wheeling in July, here in Las Vegas, with out dying of exposure. How did that guy fix the studs on his truck? It looks like he has a 12-bolt or 14 bolt semi-floater. Was he able to do it without pulling his axle out?

3. stallion85

It is a 12 bolt and yes he fixed it without pulling the axle. We had two other guys who had to do trail repairs also. One guys rear diff got so hot it melted his ARB line in the rear!! Luckily I had some spare line but it still didn't workout for him. He ended up just pinching the line off. Tie rod canyon trail is located just south of Blue diamond parkway and rainbow. When you gonna wheel that bad boy 1-ton? You can't say it's too big now after seeing Deans Burb tearing it up /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 1-ton

[ QUOTE ]
    tearing it up

[/ QUOTE ]

"Tearing it up" is the key word why I would not take my DD "Mall Cruiser" on that kind of trail. I am not in to off-roading enough to want to tear up parts. When I go wheelin, I prefer a nice easy relaxing fire road or wash with a few cold beers. It is a lot less stressful on me and my truck.

When it comes to tearing up parts, I would rather go drag racing.

I have a friend that had a real nice 1979 Ford Bronco that he put a lot of money into, and 15 years later it is still sitting at the top of a mountain, in the Northern California Sierras, to this day. We where many miles from civilization in a valley, and he broke an axle housing trying to climb a steep hill. The truck was so far away from any help, there was no way we could recover it. I do not want to end up in that type of situation with my truck.

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

oh my god!!!!! ck5 has some more vegas kids in it now!! i used o be the only one! even better someone else with a suburban!! ive been gone for a few months with no computer. we gotta meet up somewhere after i get my sub up and running. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

No way to recover it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    Just bring a new complete housing up there and swap it in.
    If I was closer, I would go get it and charge him recovery fee for leaving it there. Some people giving us all a bad name.

[ QUOTE ]

I have a friend that had a real nice 1979 Ford Bronco that he put a lot of money into, and 15 years later it is still sitting at the top of a mountain, in the Northern California Sierras, to this day. We where many miles from civilization in a valley, and he broke an axle housing trying to climb a steep hill. The truck was so far away from any help, there was no way we could recover it. I do not want to end up in that type of situation with my truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

7. stallion85

[ QUOTE ]
    oh my god!!!!! ck5 has some more vegas kids in it now!! i used o be the only one! even better someone else with a suburban!! ive been gone for a few months with no computer. we gotta meet up somewhere after i get my sub up and running. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you in Vegas or Phoenix? Let me know when you are ready and you are more than welcome to come along. Dean would probably like to see another Sub out on the trail. The Burb always gets lots of attention, when the tiny little Heeps are so plentiful /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. 1-ton

[ QUOTE ]
    No way to recover it.
    Just bring a new complete housing up there and swap it in.
    If I was closer, I would go get it and charge him recovery fee for leaving it there. Some people giving us all a bad name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the long version of what went down.

In 1988 my friend, with the 1979 Ford Bronco, and me went up to the Sierras (about 450 miles away from where we lived in Southern California). It was about the last week of October or the first week of November (I cannot remember exactly). We where up in the mountains about 7,000 Ft. There was this steep downhill trail we took down into a ravine, and as we tried to go back up this same trail the differential housing axle tube split open.

It was about 3:30 PM (15:30 Hours Military), and some clouds where starting to move in. We had to hike about 12 miles just to get back to the main logging road we used to get to the trail head, and by the time we reached the trail head it started to snow hard. We had to hike another 15 miles, in the driving snow, down the logging trail, until we reached a logging camp that was closed for the winter.

Luckily there was a security guard on duty at the logging camp, and we sat there with him drinking coffee until his shift was over, so he could give us a ride to the nearest town. Unfortunately this snowstorm was the first big storm of the winter, and it snowed non-stop for four days. The snow pack at the 7,000 ft elevation, where his truck was located, was estimated to be at about 7 or 8 Ft. There was no land vehicle that existed, which could have gotten to the spot where my friends' truck was located. His truck was stuck there for the winter, until the snow melted.

My friend tried to recover his truck about 4 months later, but a snow melt stream had washed it about 1/8 of a mile down stream, and it was buried up to its roof in mud. The ground was so water soaked the only way he could have dug it out was with a Back-Ho, but being that he was about 70 miles away from the nearest one horse town, on a rabbit trail of a road, that was not going to happen. He tried to recover it again about two months later, but found that some other people had already gotten to it before he did and stripped, smashed, and shot the truck full of holes.

This is why the truck still probably sits up there as just a shell of a truck today.

9. stallion85

That sucks, was he able to get any insurance claim out of the deal?

10. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet they were there already..

you wern't the only vegas kid...just the only one in az /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. 1-ton

[ QUOTE ]
    That sucks, was he able to get any insurance claim out of the deal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the truck was a used truck that he bought outright, he did not have full coverage insurance on it.