Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tie Rod End Problems WTF!?!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fwc, Nov 7, 2004.

1. fwc

fwc Registered Member Premium Member

Want to replace the TREs on my 91. Looking at the pictures in the LMC catalog for reference, my setup is that of a 76-80 truck NOT the 81-91 setup. I have a short passenger side TRE and a long driver side TRE. There is no separate connecting rod.

I can either replace all of the parts according to what I have (76-80) with studs facing up or make it the way it should be for a 91 with studs facing down.

I don't know if the previous owner bent his connecting rod and replaced the setup with an older one or if he replaced the entire axle with an older one or if GM screwed up.

My concern is if the axle/knuckles are correct for my year, then the tapered studs on the TREs arent fitting properly.

Are the TRE studs tapered? Are the holes in the knuckle tapered? Anyone have any suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. fwc

fwc Registered Member Premium Member

anyone???

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes it's all tapered but the taper should be the same.

I suggest going to the junkyard, getting yourself a 3 piece tierod, replacing the ends, and calling it done. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif