Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tie rod hits springs with flat tops??? GOT IT FIXED

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 55Willy, Mar 5, 2004.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I just got my knuckles on the front set up for crossover. but my tie rod after being moved from the bottom mount style to the top mount it is pretty dang close to the springs. even a mall speed bump would make em meet each other. what have you guys done?
    my options as I see it:
    buy the other rod and ends($$$)
    zero rate (gee.. I sold em)
    put in my other lifted springs(only down side to this option is the fact I don't know if it'll hit til all is said and done,LOL) /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

++ I took the 3/4" off set out of the rear pack I hgot from my buddy and put it up front, perfect clearence and right now the rig sits perfectly flat. 4" springs and 3/4" zero rate in the front. 4" angled blocks on bent stock rears.

After I get the right bushings and shocks for the rear I'll do the 8" swap. (like in a month or so when the disc are done on the 14ff)

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Re: tie rod hits springs with flat tops??? help

Thats the options. Z rates or new tierods with the drop ends. I went with z rates. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Had the same problem. I used the z-rates.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

A guy on PBB posted that he had a machine shop make him some tapered plugs with a hole in them that he used loc-tite sleeve retaining compound to hold in and then retapered from the correct side.

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

my 8" springs will clear but for some reason they run a 1" bushing. so my BDS bushings are too big.. so it looks like I'm doing a zero rate and keeping the current 4" springs. which with the diesel it'll be close to the full 4" LOL

Now I get to stack blocks in the rear to level it.

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I used Rod ends to solve that problem. Just used a 3/4"x7/8" rod end and drilled the tapered holes out for a 3/4" bolt and viola! I had a new tie rod and I cleared the springs.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Theres the problem right there. You used a straight tie rod and the original one that was on the flat top knuckles from the factory was the curved one. It curved down slightly and then back straight to the other knuckle. This is the "first design" axle and tie rod. The tie rod feeds into the knuckle from the top and the second design tie rods feed the knuckle from the bottom.

There is no way to fix this except for a zero-rate install. Or unless you have monster lift springs. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

my other springs are 8"s but for some gay reason they are running 1" bushings which I don't have. I'm gonna put in the zero rate for now til I get my new rear shocks, bags, and the right buhings. then do the 8" lift on easter weekend which I get back over here. (moving states between now and then and need this road worthy to get there.)