Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tie Rod Prob QUICK

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by daleearnhardt01, Sep 6, 2004.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Workin on a Heep but that doesnt matter...Cant get the draglink to separate from the tie rod. The bolt in the draglink is just spinning with the castle nut. Any /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gifideas?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Drive a ball joint seperator in between the draglink and tie rod and then take the nut out and hit the ball joint seperator and it should come right apart.

3. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i dont know exactly if this will work for a draglink but for my TRE i put a jack under it to put a little pressure under it and that worked

4. k5mike

k5mike Registered Member

try putting pressure on it by turning the wheel untill it "takes up the slack"......good luck

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

If it is still together you can turn the wheel slightly to create enough pressure (read friction) to remove the nut. Same thing with install (although I find installing to be faster than removing).

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i have use a vice grip on the end and then move it to the top when it gets to the grip and mash it over the killed threads, i take it your getting new ones, it has worked for me and is a good solution if it will work for you. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have used all the methods listed already with success--if all else fails,I usually grind one side of the nut off carefully with a 4 inch grinder and split it with a sharp chisel,or use a nut splitter--if you are careful you wont booger up the threads on the TRE if you need to use it over.
    An impact wrech will usually spin it right off too--if you have enough room to use it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yeh we ended up cutting the nut off with the dremel but we're gonna go ahead and put new tierod ends on too while we're at it. Thanks for the help guys.