Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tie rod protection

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4_76, Aug 18, 2001.

1. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I've seen lots of front axle braces and other doodads,but yet I haven't seen not one tie rod guard.After all,it bends quite easily,if you accidentaly hit rock or tree stump.Is there any reason why this can't be done?I was thinking that proper U-beam and couple of brackets would do the job...

I'm too lazy to stick shift,that's why I prefer autotranny.

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

If your worried about bending yer tie rod get a Rock Rod.These things are beefy.community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang

3. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Yep.That sure looks strong.And that don't gain unsprung weight nowhere near as U-beam w/brackets would.I have to remember that when I start my project.

4. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I just relocated the tie rod so that it was out of harms way!!! I moved it above the springs.

autotronixcaraudio.com

5. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Some guys weld a section of angle iron to the rod. Greatly improves it's resistance to bending.

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I wouldn't weld anything to the tie-rod...unless it was a trail repair. As far as doing that as a 'mod' no way would I start welding to steering components.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

7. azblazor

I don't necessarily disagree, I was not recommending welding angle iron on the tie rod. But it is common in some circles. I've never done it to any of the 4x4's I've owned. Having said that, I think it could be done properly and have some benefit. I am currently "welding on steering components" by repairing my frame at the steering box attachment. I consider that a pretty critical part of the system also.

<font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by azblazor on 08/18/01 11:07 AM.</FONT></P>

8. tRustyK5

A frame repair is not really welding a steering component in the sense I was talking about. If its a trail only rig nobody really cares what you do, but on a daily driver/ weekend warrior you could be setting yourself up for a lawsuit if you ever have an accident...[​IMG]

Thats just my two cents...I think a rock-Rod would be a much better solution or relocate it like Nash did. Or pay attention when you're wheeling...[​IMG]

Rene

9. azblazor

I understand your point. But I would venture that ANY modification (or lack of proper maintenance) to the stock configuration of your vehicle would (could) be grounds for a law suit (especially in the US). Any properly welded tie rod would be as defensible in court as any other modification or self maintenance. (IMHO) :-)

<font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

10. tRustyK5

My point was that an aftermarket product like a Rock-Rod would have gone through a testing procedure and also probably be looked at for future liabilty. I would rather have a product with some independant testing behind it than a home brew job if I were involved in an accident...

Besides, the Rock-Rod isn't even expensive...and it definitely looks way better than apiece of angle iron scabbed onto a critical steering part. Imagine an accident investigator looking at both set-ups, which do you think would get his attention?

Sorry, I'll stick with a more professional looking and IMHO stronger product.[​IMG]

Rene

11. azblazor

Don't be sorry! I wasn't trying to convince you or anyone to do this. You chose to visualize the modification as a poorly engineered or implemented idea. It simply does not have to be on that end of the scale. It could be well thought out and properly constructed. My point was, it could be a cheap, high strength tie rod for someone who desired one. I agree Rock-Rods are more visually appealing to most people. I guess this is turning into a tit-for-tat dialogue - so I will end with my pledge not to continue in deference to your "most senior status of K5-forumlistness" and besides I'm here on overtime :-) I should be actually working. Have a nice day!

12. tRustyK5

The number one thing I see as a problem would be straightening the welded tie rod after its been welded. All the welding would be on one side of the tie-rod...the amount of distortion alone would make the job a PITA to do 'correctly'. I just don't see the benefit, for the amount of labor involved to do it right you could have bought two Rock-Rods...

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

"most senior status of K5-forumlistness"

<hr></blockquote>

Bawahahahaha!!! [​IMG] I just have no life...[​IMG]

Rene

13. FWP

FWP CRS

I thought about doing something like this awhile back. After thinking about all the options(including the welding angle thing- Rene's got it right), and the best, cheapest way would be the rock rod. IMHO......

I really really really like the DBlazer method. I just can't swing it at the moment[​IMG]

&lt;a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5&gt;http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5&lt;/a&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by FWP on 08/18/01 07:34 PM.</FONT></P>

14. FWP

FWP CRS

And why in the heck does this forum thingy modify the link in my sig every time I edit...........arggghhhhh

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5</a>

15. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I agree.Welding steering components is just and only for trail repair.

16. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have a Rockrod and I am very impressed with it! I have had it holding the front of my Jimmy up on a rock, without a bend!

I definately recomend a Rockrod!

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

17. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I've got a welded tie rod. It consists of 1 1/4 DOM tubing, heim joints, and 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1/4 angle iron. Does the Rock Rod look better? Yes. Am I going to ditch mine and go buy one? No. Are both of them welded together? Yes.

I had a cop look at mine a several months ago. He said "whats this big piece of metal down here, did you do that?". I said yes, its there to keep the tie rod from getting bend. Bent tie rods are not safe. He said "Oh, OK.".

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd