Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tie rod q

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wally81k5, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

Is the tie rod in my 87 got 3 peices? I think the older ones have long side short side. Mine looks like the ends can just be changed and the middle long bar can stay? Fill m ein!

Ryan

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Yep, my '86 has the two ends, and some jam nuts to hold the ends in place.

John

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Are they still a 7/8-18 thread pitch?

4. SkulzNBonz

I assume so. I replaced them a couple of months back, told the lady at NAPA what I needed, and got the stock parts. I've seen tie rods that have the "clamp" or adjusting sleave type, and the type I have. Don't know if it's stock or not.

John

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There were three "styles", LMC catalog shows them pretty good.

IIRC all 10 bolts have the same setup, and then there was the "early" and "late" D44 setups.

My dad just bought the tie rods for his '74 Dana 44. $150 for the setup. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I think it would cost me something like $50 to do the 10 bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

The guy I tlaked to at NAPA didn't know what I was tlaking about. They only showed the style with the long left hand rod, the short right hand, and an adjusting sleeve. When I asked about the style you have, the said "it must be something aftermarket". /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. SkulzNBonz

There is a left and a right. The driver's side TRE has the "eye" to mount the steering stabilizer, and the passenger side is just a short, stubby piece. As far as I know, these are the stock ends.

John