Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tie Rod Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Stomper, Jul 24, 2004.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have got a 1.5" Tie rod for te front of my 10 bolt. I have heard that I can mount it on the top of the knockle vice underneath it to gain some clearance to prevent it from getting smacked around. Is this true?

I know they are tapered but could I drill it out and use the HD TRE in the hole or will I need another type of TRE.

Let me know TIA /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

heim ends would probably be your best bet. Drill out to a 3/4" hole, slap some heims in there and go. Just hit them with WD40 pretty often. DOn't know of a TRE that isn't tapered, anyone? Could taper the holes for a bigger end from the top.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Get yourself a set of D44 flattop knuckles like you need for crossover steering. They mount from the top. Other then that they all are bottom mount.

If you have a 1.5" rockrod I don't see the worry about getting it smacked around some. That is why it is there. If it is .250 or .375 wall then you really don't have to worry about bending it unless you hit something really hard. Then personally I would rather have the impact like that hit the tierod instead of the axle tube or cover.

You can replace the tierod but the axle tube is perminant. If you smack the cover hard enough (without and HD cover) you may damage your ring gear which is more expensive then a tierod.

Just my thought. Smack the tierod is the answer or get D44 flattops, if you are going crossover you need them anyway.

Harley

4. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

All right thanks guys, I don't think I am going to worry about it then. Just wanted to get some more input and thanks for pointing that out about smacking my front diff /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I would have felt like a dumb a$$ to have been on the trail to smash my gears because I moved my tie rod up.

I love this place /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif