Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tie rod replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by codeman, May 8, 2002.

1. codeman

codeman Registered Member

I recently bought a 1989 K5 Blazer. The tie rod is pretty beat up so I decided to replace it. The tie rod that is in LMC Truck looks different than the one that is on my blazer. I have a Corporate 10 bolt front axle. My tie rod has an adjustment sleeve and mounts on the lower side of the ends of the axle. The one in LMC truck shows that between the years 1981-1991 the tie rod assembly does not have an adjustment sleeve and it mounts to the upper side of the ends of the axle. If someone can help please let me know which one is right.

2. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

IMO I wouldn't even bother with a stock replacement. You can get a rockrod from www.rockstomper.com that is much beefier. You can also purchase an optional sleeve to make it indestructable.

3. Medman74K5

Medman74K5 Registered Member

My wifes 89 K5 is the same. LMC lists it for 76-80. Just bought the 89 so I'm not sure if its orig. steering rod or not. The rockrod will cost a little more but probably worth it.