Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tie rod suggestions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, Apr 18, 2004.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

From what I understand, RockStomper has stopped making the Rock rods. I REALLY need a tie rod bad, cuz the one I ghettoed up to my D44 isn't holding well after 2 years of abuse. Does anyone know where I can go to get a thicker than stock rod for my 3/4 ton '74 D44?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Missouri Offroad Outfitters
    Offroad Design
    Sky Manufacturing

Harley

4. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

or you can do like i did and buy the normal tie rod ends, then have them sleeved and the sleeve welded on by somebody and you have one think motha' f'n tie rod.

[​IMG]

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Sky Manufacturing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would normally say so as well, but theirs are only available in 1 1/4" .250" wall so I'm going to get mine from someone else.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would normally say so as well, but theirs are only available in 1 1/4" .250" wall so I'm going to get mine from someone else.

[/ QUOTE ]
    This is true, but I asked sky if he'd be willing to make me one out of 1.5" and he did. Now I don't know if that was a special one time deal, but you might ask if you call.

7. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    or you can do like i did and buy the normal tie rod ends, then have them sleeved and the sleeve welded on by somebody and you have one think motha' f'n tie rod.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I dunno if I can do that. My knuckles are 1st design (going to get crossover /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif), and accept only those offset rod ends.
    [​IMG]
    I've been using the tie rod off of my 84's 10 bolt, but it's touching the springs, and the ends aren't fitting the tapers properly, so it's loose. I'll probably bug Steve at ORD, cuz I've done buisness with him before.

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

shakerbuilt.com has them. He claims to have a 1.5" .50 wall version available.

9. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey.
    I have early knuckles on my front 44, with a stock style 82 tierod and there is clearance. How much lift do you have ? I am using 6inch springs and a 2.5 shim under the front pack. The steering stabilizer fits too.
    The taper between all of the knuckles are the same. CHRIS T on the board here just used a 80 style rod on stock 72 knuckles and all the tapers should be the same. His old rod was one like you showed pictures of.

Blake

10. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Like Blake said I was able to use the later style tie rod on my '72 Dana 44, but I have 6" springs with an integrated shim which gives you a little more room to wiggle it in there.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    This is true, but I asked sky if he'd be willing to make me one out of 1.5" and he did. Now I don't know if that was a special one time deal, but you might ask if you call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked when I ordered my crossover and they told me that's the only tube they had around the shop. Kinda disappointed me. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Cause when i got mine about 6 - 8 months ago, I ask that similar question and I was able to get the bigger tubing rod. Maybe he's changed since then /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Not sure. All I know is that I wanted one that was much thicker wall, and he didn't have the tube available. I told Brian, "This isn't a jeep or a toyota, this is a fullsize, and that's not heavy enough." Unfortunately he said that was all they had, and I told him to skip the tie rod, and I just ordered my crossover, which I'm VERY pleased with for all of you to know. I would have ordered a tie rod at the same time, but they didn't have one any heavier than 1 1/4" .250". MOO and ORD both do though, so I'll probably order from them.

14. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I told him to put in a zero rate and be done with it, but he does not want to. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Hey Sean,

Is that tie rod in backwards? I'm looking at the hole for the steering stabilizer. Does it have to go in that way with the mods you did to it or could it go in so you could still use a stabilizer?

Eric M.

16. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

too funny that you ask that!
    it is in backwards (thanks to grendel) and i need to switch it back so i can put a steering stabalizer on there. i get the death wobbles somethin' fierce.
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    *disclaimer* death wobble is not actually funny. it sucks.

17. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i get the death wobbles somethin' fierce.
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    *disclaimer* death wobble is not actually funny. it sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't know what those guys who don't run steering stabilizers do when they actually get on the streets. There's a reason these axles were designed with steering stabilizers. I bolted up my rebuild D60 to my Suburban at about midnight last year. The good'ol folks at 4WPW sold me the wrong steering stabilizer. I figured what the hell and took it out for a test drive. I got the wobbles so bad flying down Junipero Serra Blvd., I was about to park the damn thing and walk home! You really need those stabilizers.

And you're right, DW aren't anything to laugh about. They scare me.

Eric M.