Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tie rod?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, May 14, 2003.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just bought this 8 lug 10 bolt and the tie rod has a slight bend in it (if you lay a straightedge on it it's bent about a 1/4"). How much of a bend is unsafe to use? I can use the tierod under my truck, but I want to build this axle without having to take my truck apart. Thanks.

-Brian

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, that amount of bend doesn't sound too bad. Here's what I'd do. Install the tie-rod and just lengthen it the proper amount to give you about 3/16" toe-in. But, just so you know, having a slight bend in it makes it weaker, so it's just that much more prone to bending offroad. On-road, you should be fine.

Probably the best option is to build the 8-lug 10 bolt, and then on the day that you swap it in place of your 6 lug 10 bolt, swap the tierods too. That's what I'm going to do. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Maybe you could slip a slightly larger tube over it and weld it on...

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Get a sleeved Rock Rod. You will never have to worry about bending a tie rod again with one. I just picked one up from 4x4 Iron and this thing is BEEFY. I will never be able to bend this thing. Tim told me my steering knuckles would probably break before the tie rod bent. It only cost me $167 for something that is bulletproof and I will never have to worry about. Worth the extra cost for the piece of mind.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have a rockrod from Rockstomper. Pics in webshots. high quality product and purdy cheap too. Think they are $170 now... lil cheaper when I got mine i think.

rockstomper

j

6. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Sorry to pimping but if you want a new one then give me a call and i'll build you one that you can't bend. I'll evven give it a lifetime waranty.
    I can jack mine up on the tie rod.
    I can tap the ends to whatever thread you want.