Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tie rods picking at wheels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hawglet, Sep 7, 2001.

1. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

On my '84 the tie ends are picking the weights off of the back of my wheels before I even get it out of the bay. Does anybody else have this problem? Or know why this may so this? They have put little gouges in my bead lip on the alum. wheels I have. I have brand new wheels waitign in the shop for it but don't want to put them on it and have this happen to them too. They have plenty of offset, 10" wheel and only 1 7/8" behind them so that isn't the problem, I can't think of anyhting else. Just had it alinged to try and fis the prob. and it didn't change it at all. It's running 33's and isn't lifted at all, doesn't rub anywhere else? I don''t understand. As of now all the wieght is on the outside fo the wheel,UGLY, til I go wheelin Sunday and the rocks and ruts in the mud get ahold of them. Thanks.

Thanks,
    Greg Gayman
    Hawglet
    Stovie
    hawglet@excite.com

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

There are wheel spacers that could take care of this problem. If you have new rims, I'd jack up a wheel and mount the rim up to see how much clearence they have. Your offset may have widened the wheel but didn't necesarily change the distance from the lugs to the inside of the rim which would have left you with the same problem.

What, Me Worry?

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I HAD that problem once, when I had to use a buddy's spare tire with not enough offset (or too much, dang I get that mixed up [​IMG]). Must be your wheels are too inset towards the rotors/tie rods. Only thing I can think of.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Need more offset - mine does this too, and the only cure is more negative offset. You might consider a set of .25" spacers.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Most aluminum wheels have this problem they need to use stick on wheel weights inside of the rims not clip ons.

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

The factory offset for wheels is 3 7/8's. When I went to a 4" backspacing on some cheap wheels I bought I had this problem too. However, I was in the process of replacing the tie-rod ends and found that the aftermarket tie-rods arent as bulky out there towards the wheels and they no longer rubbed after replacing them. I got them at Advance Auto parts.
    Hope this helps.
    Also, What do you mena about the new wheels only having 1 7/8's on the backside? Are you saying that your new wheels only have 1 7/8 backspacing?
    Man that is gonna make your wheels stick way out from under the truck as well as put a serious strain on your ball joints. If this is not what your talking about please excuse the previous info. [​IMG]

tRustyk5 for President!!![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

7. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The stock offset on straight axle trucks is 3 5/8....I'm gonna guess that your offset is 4".....I use old Crager spacers (pn 29200) to get the extra 3/8" I need for my 4" offset wheels....I think you can buy studs that are slightly longer than stock, but then if you switch back to stock wheels, you either have to use the spacer or use open nuts instead of the acorn type.....I run AT's on stock Rally's for daily use, and 10" Rally's with MT's for play.....no rock climbing around here, just mud.....so far so good.....JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the proof reading there Jimmy. I did type 3 7/8.LOL!!!! My fingures dont co-operate to well this early in the morning.

tRustyk5 for President!!![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

9. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I remember you posting something about tie rod clearance a while ago....I emailed you once asking about this, thinkin' you had said you used a Rock Rod with the Dodge ends on it.....what type of ends did you use to gain the extra clearance? (Moog, etc)....I ain't crazy about usin' spacers, but I don't think I can live without my 10" Rally's......(I couldn't have them built with 3 5?8 without reversing them and making it impossible to use my trim rings).....I like the idea of having a set of wheels unlike anyone else's......JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..