Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tie Rods

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddytazz, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Will a D44 tie rod fit on a 10b even tho the mounting is different(underside and topside)...just trying to find out of the taper on the TRE's are the same.

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Well I went the other way and it worked so you should be fine.....the 10B tie rod seemed so much beefier than my d44 tie rod....the 10B tie rod in the d44 knuckles though came very close to my leaf springs with no add-a-leaf or degree shim...

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Cool thanks

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You may have to adjust your toe some but it should work. The only other problem as mentioned is the clearence between the spring when you use D44 flattop knuckles. My 1.5" tierod BARELY clears the spring (literally touches) when I am installing it in the D44 flattops if you are using non-D44 flattop TRE's. D44 TRE's have a drop section built into them.

Also my truck has a 1" zero rate in the front springs, otherwise my tie rod would not go in from the top unless I unbolted the axle and let it fall away from the springs some or I would have to take the knuckles off, install the tierod and then reinstall the knuckles with the tierod already in them.

1.5" Tierod, stock 10b style TRE's, 1" zero rate in a 4" lift spring pack, D44 flattops. (BARELY fits)

Harley

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I really don't think its going to be a clearance issue. As the D44 tie rod will be going on a 10b(with NO flat tops). Reason is the 10b tie rod is toast and I can't see spending that much money for a new one(also this is my sisters K5 who is on a very tight budget).

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You should be fine putting a D44 tierod on a 10 bolt. It is the other way around that can be tricky like I said. You might have to adjust your toe a little but that isn't hard to do.

Harley

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Thats kinda what I was thinking, thanks