Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tierod question?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UTmobile, Sep 15, 2002.

1. UTmobile

UTmobile Registered Member

how hard is it to replace the tie rod ends? and, am i better off with dealer parts or after market parts? if after market, which brand?

2. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I just did both tie rods and draglink assemblies on my truck. Short of taking the time to both measure the original length and turns, it took about two hours, breaks included... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

You would be well advised to pick up a set of tie rod/ ball joint separators (aka "pickle forks"), some decent grease for the new joints ( I use a marine type) and an alignment when done.

As far as brands, NAPA has yet to "steer" me wrong...

Good luck!

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Burbinator pretty much covered it, but here are my tips.
    1.) Depending on how rusted your existing tie-rod is, and if both ends need replacing, buy the adjusting sleeve too. This way you can take out the old one in one piece and measure the new one up to it. Sure beats trying to unscrew that adjuster too.
    2.) I didn't use a pickle fork when I changed mine, so I'd be interested to hear how well they work. What I did was just hit on the knuckle where the tierod end connects to it. I wailed on it with a 3lb mallet and finally the taper-fit end fell out.
    3.) I got my tie-rod from Napa - the two ends and adjuster cost (I think) $150. It was expensive because it has a lifetime warranty, it's a Moog, and it is the heavier duty 1" tubing instead of 7/8".
    4.) Getting it aligned at a shop isn't necessary. Have someone help you by holding a tape measure from wheel (rim) to wheel. The measurement from the front of the rim should be about 3/16" shorter than that of the back of the rim. This is called toe-in. Remember though, if you buy all three pieces, when you put it in, you can have it the right length.

Just my tips. Hope you can put them to use.

4. Burbinator

True, an alignment is not really a necessity...I am just a real stickler for details.

However, since I do most of my own work, I feel it my duty to give a kick-back to the local mech from time to time.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

As far as brands, NAPA has yet to "steer" me wrong... >>>>>>>>> I wish I could say that. Every time I've gone to Crapa, they give me the wrong parts, and argue with me about it. I refuce to deal with Crapa ever again. I lived in a small town that only had a Crapa. Would have to wait for a week to get a part, then find out the moron behind the counter ordered something other then I needed. Happen way too meny times, so I got to the point of driving 100 miles to the city so I could get the right part.

6. Burbinator

Unfortunately, there are some places out there that ruin it for the corporate namesake...ah, the beauty of franchised operations!